PDA

View Full Version : Belts and gaskets

Masani
08-06-2011, 05:16 AM
So, it's about time I replaced the belts and the oil pan gasket on my beast. I'm going to be ordering my belts online, but I wonder.. What brand of belts, and gaskets for that matter, does the hardcore celicatechy use? I've heard of Felpro, and seen ads here and there, but I want to know what's the best quality for the best price. Or if they're all the same.
...your thoughts?

Doowstados
08-06-2011, 06:11 AM
Timing Belt: Use Toyota OEM.

All gaskets but head gasket: Toyota OEM.

Head gasket: Haven't had to change yet but I reckon I'll use Cometic.

Serpentine Belt (drive belt): I use whatever, as long as it isn't a crap generic store brand. Right now I've got a Dayco Poly-Cog belt on it.

Murgatroy
08-06-2011, 08:11 AM
Generic store brand.

Valve pan, rear main, head gasket, timing belt and accessory belts. Then I used a tube of black silicone for anything else I needed.

Doowstados
08-06-2011, 08:18 AM
I forgot to mention, I believe someone told me the oil pan doesn't use a gasket, it uses black FIPG.

temperacerguy
08-06-2011, 02:24 PM
The oil pan is held on with toyota form in place gasket (FIPG). It's like an RTV from Hell. and is great. Make sure to get all the old gasket material off of the pan/block and then clean all oil off of the mating surfaces (I scrape, clean it as best I can with a scotch bright pad on a drill, then clean it all with brake cleaner)
For headgaskets, for stock, I go with Toyota, for mild-medium boost I go with cometic, and for hardcore, I go with SCE copper (with O-ringed head)
For engine gaskets, I get toyota, as if I give them the VIN for the car, I always get the right gasket set.
for surface/surface mating where I want some extra sealant, I use Hondabond
For Timing belts I use Toyota, though it's not critical with Toyota Engines as our engines are non-interference engines, so if one breaks, it's just time replacing the belt, not catastrophic to fix.
For V-belt or serpentine belts, I go with Goodyear Gatorback belts. They have been the best belt I have used. I used to use Dayco Polycog, but I would have slipping/glazing problems with them. Never had an issue with the gatorback belts.

90ToyAllTrac
08-07-2011, 05:29 AM
Oilpan. On my swap, I think the first time I either used the napa cork gasket and black RTV and it leaked like a screen door on the first start. So I did some reading and tried the FIPG Form In Place Gasket from Toyota dealer. Not a drip since.