PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on this celica

celicaGT90_05
08-06-2011, 03:11 AM
http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/2531713071.html

After falling in love with my 5th gen, I always thought to myself I wouldn't mind having another to play with. Then I came across this one, for the right price I could turn one car into a more agressive race set up and the other one more for show. Any thoughts about it?

Lonestag
08-06-2011, 03:27 AM
Dude, I was looking at that one and it looks nice but it's still a bit much for a high milage non-running car. I would probably offer $650 or pass. Thats at least two hundred more then he would get from scrap for it.

celicaGT90_05
08-06-2011, 03:38 AM
yeah thats what I was thinking, but it sure is clean based on those pics, I see lots of potential. Then again, underbodies hide secrets to the unknowing

grimmythereaper
08-06-2011, 03:47 AM
i agree 650 and no more, all so it looks like ur celica GT90, :)

celicaGT90_05
08-06-2011, 03:52 AM
lol I know it, I've done a few changes though, now it sports GTS wheels and a red hatch with part of a 3 piece spoiler lol all in progress

klapa
08-06-2011, 04:02 PM
I was thinking the same - too much for a car that needs an engine - but def has possibilities if indeed it has no rust in Ohio.

For comparison - I got a '93 GTS off Craiglist that is pretty much 100% original, no rust, and only flaw is a reparable (but fairly large) dent in the rear quarter.

It started out at $1400 - I went and looked at it and turned the guy down.

About 3 months later I bought it for $425 with a free tow to my house.

celicaGT90_05
08-06-2011, 05:22 PM
I emailed him asking for more pics, still not response yet. I would probably end up with the same scenario, I really doubt anyone around this area would be willing to take the car for that price, especially considering a lot of people around this area hardly think of those celicas as a car to get

klapa
08-06-2011, 06:19 PM
It pays to wait them out - and the asking price is too much to even make an offer that is reasonable.

I was kind of lucky in that the place this guy had that GTS parked was a place where parking is at a premium - I had originally offered $800 through email pending looking at it. It was advertised as having rod-knock. When I saw the dent (it was not in the CL pics) and the fact that it did not have the power lumbar seats, and finally found out that actually the thing had a BROKEN rod and would not even turn over, I just turned him down immediately.

A couple of months later I started getting emails from the guy again - apparently he was under pressure to move it. Even then - $425 was a bit much - as I generally use the "$200 rule" for cars with a blown engine, but with the full System 10 setup and all of the original stuff intact (it even still had the original hood insulation intact) I ended up buying it.

I'm glad I did buy it - I'm pretty sure I could make a handsome profit even parting it out - but now I want to bring it back to life. I'm just a sucker for stray dogs and Celicas.

celicaGT90_05
08-07-2011, 10:37 PM
The guy e-mailed me back with some interior shots, gonna see if I can get a number to text and maybe look at it. I agree though, I wouldn't pay too much but at the same time if the car is rock solid it'll make a good project