PDA

View Full Version : need a new suspension

819_ay
08-05-2011, 06:28 PM
hey guys, i need a new suspension pretty soon, and i was wondering what people around here use, something not to expensive of course...i checked out a few brands but not sure what to buy...

thanks in advance

celicaGT90_05
08-05-2011, 07:08 PM
are you looking to lower? If so I used H&R sport springs. H&R is one of the best springs you can get, they stiffen but are still soft enough to be comfy. I also just went with monroe sensatrac shocks, I'd have gone stiffere but they are designed to stiffen once they go down so far in their stroke

819_ay
08-05-2011, 08:00 PM
well i was thinking of keeping the original height, i dont wanna drop it ...but thx for the info, cause i was looking at the monroe shocks but i wasnt sure if they were good or not....

Galcobar
08-05-2011, 09:02 PM
Monroe's an economy brand, not bad, particularly the Sensa-trac stuff, but not the better.

For stock refreshing, you're best to look at KYB GR-2 shocks and struts. Keep in mind you'll also need strut mounts, spring seat insulators, anti-sway bar end links, and probably boots and bump stops. Which ones depend upon your car, which you did not identify in your post or profile.

celicaGT90_05
08-05-2011, 09:36 PM
yeah the sensatracs aren't too bad, I didn't want to feel every last little indentation
in the road though either

METDeath
08-06-2011, 03:51 AM
Buy a set of Megan coil overs and have them adjusted fairly high, have the dampening set to a point where the car doesn't bounce twice going over bumps.

I say this because the low end coil over assemblies cost about pretty close to the same amount as a proper stock suspension rebuild. Which includes the following:

Struts
Strut mounts
Spring seat isolators
Bump stops

That stuff adds up...

819_ay
08-07-2011, 09:17 PM
i have a st185 with my stock suspension still, and its getting pretty rough ,and lots of squeaking in the rear end, and i'm pretty much a newbie with shit like this, thx for the suggestion guys,i'm going to have to look into a bit,
if anyone has any other suggestions please post them

thanks guys,

klapa
08-07-2011, 09:44 PM
Buy a set of Megan coil overs and have them adjusted fairly high, have the dampening set to a point where the car doesn't bounce twice going over bumps.

I say this because the low end coil over assemblies cost about pretty close to the same amount as a proper stock suspension rebuild. Which includes the following:

Struts
Strut mounts
Spring seat isolators
Bump stops

That stuff adds up...

I was looking at those - def adds up - the Megan kit for an ST185 is $999!

Glad it wasn't $1000 - that would be too much!

Galcobar
08-07-2011, 10:01 PM
I ended up spending about C$800 to redo my suspension, then added in lowering springs as well. However, that was with when the Canadian dollar was sitting around US$0.80.

klapa
08-07-2011, 10:56 PM
I ended up spending about C$800 to redo my suspension, then added in lowering springs as well. However, that was with when the Canadian dollar was sitting around US$0.80.

Ahh, yes... the good old days. You could probably get them now for.... what, $C50?

Galcobar
08-07-2011, 11:11 PM
Not quite, the retreat in oil prices has reduced demand for the Canadian dollar, so once you take into the exchange surcharge it's at par with the greenback or slightly below from the consumer's perspective. On the currency markets the loonie's still about US$1.02.

klapa
08-07-2011, 11:18 PM
Not quite, the retreat in oil prices has reduced demand for the Canadian dollar,

Those darn GREENIES! Time to bring back V-8's with carberatur barrels the size of silver dollars! They'll get the old economy moving again!

Back to the point - I bought a set of the C-ONE coilovers off this board - haven't mounted them yet as I want to do the whole suspension thing at once and I need a knuckle.

819_ay
08-08-2011, 04:18 PM
I was looking at those - def adds up - the Megan kit for an ST185 is $999!

Glad it wasn't $1000 - that would be too much!

there now only 880 with free shipping to the usa,
http://www.meganracingperformance.com/19901993-toyota-celica-coilover-damper-kit-street-series-megan-p-132873.html

so if i buy this suspension kit what else would i need to install them? galcobar was saying i would need strut mounts, spring seat insulators, anti-sway bar end links, and probably boots and bump stops
would i still need to get all that too??

thanks again guys, really appreciate the help...

METDeath
08-08-2011, 07:01 PM
there now only 880 with free shipping to the usa,
http://www.meganracingperformance.com/19901993-toyota-celica-coilover-damper-kit-street-series-megan-p-132873.html

so if i buy this suspension kit what else would i need to install them? galcobar was saying i would need strut mounts, spring seat insulators, anti-sway bar end links, and probably boots and bump stops
would i still need to get all that too??

thanks again guys, really appreciate the help...

That kit takes care of everything but the end links.

klapa
08-08-2011, 07:47 PM
Yea - for 880 shipped - that ain't bad - even if it is a fair piece of change.

819_ay
08-08-2011, 08:11 PM

yeah it's not to bad,

thanks dude,

appreciate all the advice, will probally be going with the megan kit, it's not to expensive and sounds like some good stuff...

819_ay
08-08-2011, 08:12 PM

yeah it's not to bad,

thanks dude,

appreciate all the advice, will probally be going with the megan kit, it's not to expensive and sounds like some good stuff...