PDA

View Full Version : How to change your odometer reading

Hookecho
08-05-2011, 01:40 AM
I've recently heard some folks try to explain how to roll an odometer forward or backward. Some involved using a power drill or placing the car on jack stands to run the transmission in reverse.

Guys, it's seriously not that hard.

I recently bought a gauge cluster and wanted to roll the odometer to reflect the actual mileage on the car.

First you remove the 4 screws holding the face plate on.
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/4/1/4/3/100_0778.jpg

Remove the face plate.
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/4/1/4/3/100_0779.jpg

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/4/1/4/3/100_0780.jpg

Use something with a point to roll each number into the posistion you desire. In this case I was in my kitchen so a knife worked great.
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/4/1/4/3/100_0783.jpg

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/4/1/4/3/100_0784.jpg

Put the thing back together and install.

Doowstados
08-05-2011, 01:42 AM
Mind blown :laugh: thanks!

Hookecho
08-05-2011, 01:43 AM
I had already rolled the numbers back before deciding to do this tutorial.

klapa
08-05-2011, 03:09 AM
Well - that IS a good tutorial - but I beg to differ on the justification to do it .....

It is not "OK" to do that - the "proper" way to roll an odometer either way is to:

1) Specify on the title the original miles of the car when you get the car.

2) Apply for a new title after you change the speedo part of the clusterand specify on the new title the change on the odometer reading (in NC we have such "blanks" on the title to do this).

I'm sorry - I know we all have "old" cars - but that is a recipe for fraudulent persons - and it IS FLAT OUT ILLEGAL to do it - I don't care if you changed your cluster or not - as far as I know it is ILLEGAL to modify the odometer.

IMHO - you are a good guy Hookecho - but this is a bad "recipe" -else who will be able to believe what when buying a car?

I would agree - you can change the engine or anything else - but a buyer deserves o know the actual miles on the car.

klapa
08-05-2011, 03:21 AM
I will add - hat I know you present this because you want your odometer to reflect the ACTUAL miles on the car.

I will also say - that all such attempts to change mechanical odometers - such as this but not limited to this - usually result in the numbers being "skewed" after a few hundred miles because they roll at different rates for whatever reason.

Thus - if you want to buy a car and you see an odometer that has the numbers slightly above and below each other - you should know that somebody has messed with the mileage reading.

Hookecho
08-05-2011, 03:26 AM
It's not illegal to set a new gauge cluster to reflect actual miles. It is illegal not to. The reason why I made this tutorial.

You are right in saying that people can use this to fraud someone. You have to take the bad with the good.

Hookecho
08-05-2011, 03:36 AM
Odometer tampering includes any changes made to equipment in order to falsify actual vehicle mileage. All states require that you state the mileage upon transfer of ownership. This is done on either the actual title or by way of another form. Both ways are considered a sworn affidavit. So if someone finds out that the odometer reading is falsified they have legal recourse.

Klapa, If you and others are strongly against this thread I will make it go poof. I've got no problem with that. You decide.

Doowstados
08-05-2011, 03:55 AM
Odometer tampering includes any changes made to equipment in order to falsify actual vehicle mileage. All states require that you state the mileage upon transfer of ownership. This is done on either the actual title or by way of another form. Both ways are considered a sworn affidavit. So if someone finds out that the odometer reading is falsified they have legal recourse.

Klapa, If you and others are strongly against this thread I will make it go poof. I've got no problem with that. You decide.

It's not exactly difficult information to come across. I don't think it needs to be removed.

93celicaconv
08-05-2011, 04:01 AM

You are spot on right. It is illegal to falsify actual vehicle mileage. To change an instrument cluster from a different vehicle to another used vehicle, and changing the odometer to match the actual miles of that used vehicles, is quite legal. To get a instrument cluster from a different vehicle with considerably lower miles on the odometer to put into another vehicle which much higher mileage and not changing the odometer reading is illegal. Hookecho basically is helping us change instrument clusters and to do it "legally", provided we maintain the actual vehicle odometer mileage.

celicaGT90_05
08-05-2011, 04:14 AM
should just add a disclamer lol but really its not hard at all. To also note, I switched gauge clusters in mine to a GTS cluster, obviously the miles were wrong. It's very easy to switch the meters too, there are 2 melted flanges to hold in the odometer, simply bust them off and you can pop out the odometer and swap back to the original reading. They still clip in so you don't need to worry about them falling back out

klapa
08-05-2011, 04:24 AM
No Hookecho - don't do delete the thread on y account. The thread is good info and I guess I overreacted to it.

I just have a hard time with odometer tampering (changing) because I have a hard time with the "modus operandi" of about %90 of mankind.

METDeath
08-05-2011, 01:15 PM
Well... certainly easier than my old thread... XD

CollapsedNut
08-05-2011, 03:35 PM

Did you get out your little cop book and look that up? Does it have pictures and pop-up pages?

Hookecho
08-05-2011, 08:24 PM
Lol.

Up yours homo.

Car_Barn_Bandit
08-05-2011, 09:18 PM
Welcome to Carfax and insurance agency paperwork that shows mileage throughout the year. Any time a title comes up with a mileage issue, a story doesn't match or insurance mileage doesn't match the car I am perusing, I walk away.

klapa
08-06-2011, 01:16 AM
Well - I would ask a question - which direction do you roll the numbers?

I would think they naturally roll from bottom to top so that would be the direction to go.

Hookecho
08-06-2011, 01:39 AM
You're right. They only roll that one direction.

klapa
08-06-2011, 01:47 AM
Incidentally - I did check with my local police department on the legality of changing the odometer - as I had thought it was strictly illegal to do so - and while I certainly believe Hookecho is on the "up and up" I wanted to make sure about my local laws.

Whenever I have some doubt about legal issues - I normally call the local police first - as they are "free" :).

They assured me that it was indeed legal to change the odometer to reflect the actual mileage of the car - and in fact that no notation need to be made of such by applying for a new title, etc.

MCcelica
08-06-2011, 02:06 AM
^That seems... backwards...

klapa
08-06-2011, 02:37 AM
^That seems... backwards...

I don't get it.

MCcelica
08-06-2011, 06:06 AM
My fault, I mis-read.