PDA

View Full Version : Car Continues to Bottom Out?

DanteDemont
08-03-2011, 10:21 AM
I have a 92 celica GT That Always nosedives whenever i go over a small bump or speed Bump. I Was on a trip to geaorgia About a week ago, an Noticed that As it bottoms out, or hits the smallest Bump, the front end will bounce up an down for A Good Minute or so at Around 60-70.

Whenever i'm driving it around Town an whatnot, If i hit a speedbump, i Have to hit it in neautral Barely Going over it, at exactly the slowest Speed Possible.

I'm Wondering if its the struts, Because It sounds like it may be the struts to me, I've bought new struts, But It Only came with the Bars for them, Does it sound Like i need to replace the springs aswell?

Can Anyone offer me any tips as to what May be causing this?

Doowstados
08-03-2011, 10:36 AM
I have a 92 celica GT That Always nosedives whenever i go over a small bump or speed Bump. I Was on a trip to geaorgia About a week ago, an Noticed that As it bottoms out, or hits the smallest Bump, the front end will bounce up an down for A Good Minute or so at Around 60-70.

Whenever i'm driving it around Town an whatnot, If i hit a speedbump, i Have to hit it in neautral Barely Going over it, at exactly the slowest Speed Possible.

I'm Wondering if its the struts, Because It sounds like it may be the struts to me, I've bought new struts, But It Only came with the Bars for them, Does it sound Like i need to replace the springs aswell?

Can Anyone offer me any tips as to what May be causing this?

Sounds to me like someone cut your springs to lower the car.

The Captain
08-03-2011, 10:41 AM
Sounds like the damping in your struts is gone.

DanteDemont
08-03-2011, 10:56 AM
I've heard that Before about the Car being lowered Via Ridding some of the spring..
Hmmm...
I guess I'll just go An Buy A Completely new assembly for struts shocks an all, A Guess a new complete Kit should work, if not Its back to troubleshooting.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KYB-GR-2-SHOCKS-CARTRIDGE-TOYOTA-365075-FRONT-/320661598220?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1992%7CModel%3ACelica&hash=item4aa8ebb00c

Do you think those Would be a good Place to start Process of elimination?

Doowstados
08-03-2011, 11:01 AM
Don't know enough about that brand to say. Depending on the condition of the front suspension installed I would just replace everything you can afford to replace; the only place this problem could be is in your front suspension. If money permits replace everything and rest peacefully knowing your car is safe to drive.

bloodMoney
08-03-2011, 12:48 PM
I've got GR2s on my 6g and I love them.

The Captian is right, it sounds like you are riding purely on your springs. To test this, try going to each of the 4 corners of your car, push the body down as far as you can, then release it quickly. If the car is easy to push down and there is oscillation in the rebound, then you need new struts. That is the easiest way (that I know) to check them.

The nice thing about the GR2s is that they are stiff enough to handle mildly spirited driving, yet soft enough to not destroy your spine on the street. Plus, they can handle drop springs unlike the OEM struts.

DanteDemont
08-03-2011, 08:39 PM
Okay I'll go have these installed, does this exact package deal come with the springs? Nvm, i'll have to check.
Thanks alot everyone =]

Galcobar
08-03-2011, 09:05 PM
Those won't come with springs -- springs really aren't a wear item for the life of a car, unless you're talking abused or collector-aged (which admittedly, we're starting to get towards with fifth-gen Celicas).

That package doesn't indicate whether or not it comes with one shock insert or two. If it's one, that's not a bad price. If it's two, it's twice what it should be for just the shock. The manufacturer part number is correct for the inserts used to rebuild the naturally-aspirated fifth-gen Celica front struts. Keep in mind you'll also want spring seat insulators (dealer-only as far as I can tell, two on each strut), bump stops (yours will be chewed if you're landing on them as much as you say), probably new boots (these you can check for condition without removing anything from the car), and anti-sway bar end links (the originals will not come off intact).

Nice guide on how to do the work -- it's really something that can be done in the home as it doesn't require much in the way of specialized tools. I only disagreed with cutting the brake line supports to get the brake line free -- I prefer to disconnect, which also means I can get the caliper completely out of the way of my work area. Just make sure to use the Celica's torque specs, not the MR2 as the guide uses. http://www.turbomr2.com/MR2/HowTo/Suspension/ReplaceSpringStrut-1.HTM

Luni
08-03-2011, 09:56 PM
Correction, they can handle SOME drop springs.

You still dont want to drop a GR2 beyond 1.5 inches. And Chris, its quite amazing how well the struts work when you have the strut mount on the right direction eh? LOL.

bloodMoney
08-03-2011, 11:32 PM
:werd:

I don't even want to think about how big of a fool I would have looked at Firestone trying to get lined up like that lmao