PDA

View Full Version : Tinting back lights?

Eric Barrera
08-03-2011, 04:44 AM
Has anyone ever tried the VHT nightshades stuff? I kinda want to try it but I want your opinions first

Murgatroy
08-03-2011, 04:47 AM
Been using it for years. I have all my lights tinted other than my headlights, including my JDM corners.

Check my gallery for pictures, there are also several threads on it.

4thgenceli
08-03-2011, 04:59 AM
If you do it, DO IT RIGHT.

Don't tint them so fucking dark your brakelights don't show....

Eric Barrera
08-03-2011, 05:05 AM
I only want like 2 coats. California is picky about this

187flatliner
08-03-2011, 05:21 AM
If you do it, DO IT RIGHT.

Don't tint them so fucking dark your brakelights don't show....

whats wrong with this.......lol

make sure you also clear them afterwards....or else the paint will fade over time washing it will make it fade quicker....my last coat only lasted 3 months.

4thgenceli
08-03-2011, 05:28 AM
whats wrong with this.......lol

Ask the dumbfuck who I rearended a year ago that received the ticket....

Waffles!
08-03-2011, 05:56 AM
Take your time when you do it. A lot of people mess up their first try at it by not waiting long enough between coats.

celicaGT90_05
08-03-2011, 06:26 AM
Ask the dumbfuck who I rearended a year ago that received the ticket....

hell around here half the rednecks don't have any of the lights in the rear working, pisses me off, especially when it nearly gets me into a serious situation. I also had a friend get pulled over because you couldn't see his lights very well after tinting, it doesnt take much for the stuff to get dark, spray a coat, dry, and test it. Cops are going to watch your car just that much more if they see it, best to make sure its done right

187flatliner
08-03-2011, 06:54 AM
no i meant my comment as more of a joke.....not a real statement.......my shit is tinted dark but you can see see it.....but it is dim.

Facime
08-03-2011, 06:55 AM
I would recommend against it, having done it myself (most recently on my alltrac). Even a light coating significantly dims your tail/brake lights. I tried to upgrade my lighting and was never really satisfied in the end. Basically you making your car less safe for yourself and others for the sake of a certain look. If you do it, go easy.

temperacerguy
08-03-2011, 09:16 AM
the VHT stuff is hard to do well. It always seems to go on too thick. for a better effect (and smoother final product) you can have a body shop tint them by scuffing them, then spraying a clearcoat with a candy black in it. The more candy black in the clear, the darker it will be. The end product (if a good quality clear) will be as durable and smooth as your paint. (also can be waxed/polished like your paint)

METDeath
08-04-2011, 11:34 AM
http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?30924-My-first-project-Blacked-out-92-93-tails&highlight=

Three coats, two clear, lasted for about two years, the paint finally got polished off to a much gentler tint

Masani
08-11-2011, 07:47 AM
If you want to remove almost all room for error, you can vinyl wrap the lights. That's what I did. Only thing is that the darkness is set, you can't make them lighter. You could make them darker by doubling up on layers...but I don't recommend it.