PDA

View Full Version : Hub Cap Stripping/Painting

RedRkt01
08-02-2011, 09:55 PM
I know, I know.....why am I asking about hub caps? My current dd has caps and I want to make the car look less embarassing. That's the real story. So my question is this: What is the best method of stripping paint from hub caps and repainting them for cheap? Remember.....I want this to look half decent!

Please help!

grimmythereaper
08-02-2011, 10:43 PM
i normally sand everything with a heavy grit then a fine grit and then primer paint and clear coat

RedRkt01
08-03-2011, 12:43 AM
Really? Wont that scour the plastic?

RedRkt01
08-03-2011, 12:44 AM
Also, what kind of paint are you using?

Car_Barn_Bandit
08-03-2011, 12:50 AM
Really? Wont that scour the plastic?

I'd use like a 120 grit sand paper at the "grittiest" end. Yes, it will scratch it. Then use a finer paper, something over 200. If the paint is bonded to the plastic well, it won't matter, you just need the primer to bite. Then use a sandable (filler) plastic primer. Sand that well with a fine paper. CLEAN well. I used Ronsonol, but you can use what ever. They have wipes. It needs to be clean. Then apply the paint. First layer light, doesn't have to cover perfectly. Dry, sand, clean. Then apply a second coat till it's "wet". This will be the glossy coat. Wait longer, sand with a very fine sand paper, lightly, then clean again.

Then coat with a clear coat wheel spray. Same procedure, first coat to just get started, second coat to gloss. Then it will look great and last a long time.

I botched my wheels by not sanding enough primer off and giving it time to dry in a humid environment. Don't listen to the paint, give it more then a few minutes to dry, give it hours and heat if it is humid. I'll be redoing my wheels soon. Fortunately, I just have to sand down to the primer and repaint.

grimmythereaper
08-03-2011, 01:26 AM
I'd use like a 120 grit sand paper at the "grittiest" end. Yes, it will scratch it. Then use a finer paper, something over 200. If the paint is bonded to the plastic well, it won't matter, you just need the primer to bite. Then use a sandable (filler) plastic primer. Sand that well with a fine paper. CLEAN well. I used Ronsonol, but you can use what ever. They have wipes. It needs to be clean. Then apply the paint. First layer light, doesn't have to cover perfectly. Dry, sand, clean. Then apply a second coat till it's "wet". This will be the glossy coat. Wait longer, sand with a very fine sand paper, lightly, then clean again.

Then coat with a clear coat wheel spray. Same procedure, first coat to just get started, second coat to gloss. Then it will look great and last a long time.

I botched my wheels by not sanding enough primer off and giving it time to dry in a humid environment. Don't listen to the paint, give it more then a few minutes to dry, give it hours and heat if it is humid.

couldn't have said it better myself. i use an automotive primer on just about everything, the paint depends on the color that i want or the look that im going for, the clear coat i mostly use some kind of acrylic enamel

RedRkt01
08-04-2011, 03:07 PM
Thanks guys. I appreciate the pointers. I'm getting ready to sell the EJ1 Civic I use as a daily and I'd like it to look better than it does. I'd also like it to look better while I'm still driving it.

One more question. Since I've never done this before I'm not sure what kind of paint to use. Is paint out of a can an unwise choice> I realize I need paint for an automotive application, but that is is far as my knowledge goes in this selection.

grimmythereaper
08-04-2011, 03:26 PM
One more question. Since I've never done this before I'm not sure what kind of paint to use. Is paint out of a can an unwise choice> I realize I need paint for an automotive application, but that is is far as my knowledge goes in this selection.

paint that bonds to plastic wold be good for hub caps :) like i said i use duplicolor a lot of the time, and it has worked out for me just fine

RedRkt01
08-04-2011, 05:47 PM
Thanks Grimmy. I like duplicolor too. I used it on my brakes and they look AWESOME. I appreciate the advice. I'm not sure when I'll get around to it, but I'll post pics of the finished product when they're done.

grimmythereaper
08-04-2011, 10:08 PM
Thanks Grimmy. I like duplicolor too. I used it on my brakes and they look AWESOME. I appreciate the advice. I'm not sure when I'll get around to it, but I'll post pics of the finished product when they're done.

its no problem at all man :) i cant wait to see how the hub caps come out

temperacerguy
08-05-2011, 04:06 AM
If you are using a plastic primer, you can use just about any paint. However brake dust will eat away at most paints, so after primering, I would use Duplicolor's wheel paint. They sell a nice metallic silver, as well as a very dark metallic grey. If you want it ultra glossy, they have a wheel clear coat as well that works well.

The key to getting a smooth run-free finish is starting off with very light coats to create a tack, then a medium coat that will flow out.

joe's gt
08-05-2011, 04:58 AM
Mequiars mag and aluminum polish will help with future easy cleaning off of brake dust if you want to take the time to do that. The polish just makes it a smoother surface and the brake dust won't adhere as much to the surface and you should just be able to regularly hose it off as long as you keep up with it.

RedRkt01
08-05-2011, 04:17 PM
Thanks everybody! The information contained herein is nothing short of win. Love it.