PDA

View Full Version : crossmember removal

lalojamesliz
08-02-2011, 05:19 PM
Hey guys i was wondering, can i remove the support (crossmember i think :) ) that the midpipe goes over right before the catalytic converter just by unbolting it? Its been a while since I've been under my all-trac but my midpipe is rattling against my crossmember i think and i want to see if i can flatten a 1/4" of the crossmember if possible so it doesn't rub. I have a nice 3/4 impact gun I've been wanting to use :)

grimmythereaper
08-02-2011, 06:08 PM
u should be able to, but i the engine also mounts to the cross member so i would at least jack up the engine b4 u take offf the cross member

4thgenceli
08-02-2011, 06:17 PM
If you're talking about the east/west crossmember yeah you can pull that out no problem. Should be 4 or 5 bolts and two nuts and it drops.

lalojamesliz
08-02-2011, 07:18 PM
Yup that's the one. Thank you guys

Galcobar
08-02-2011, 10:37 PM
Four bolts, two nuts for the lateral cross-member. If your mid-pipe is rattling against it, you'll have a hard time flattening the cross-member -- and if you do you're compromising the structural integrity of it. I'd suggest checking your exhaust hangers, make sure one hasn't popped a weld. I find that's the majority of exhaust rattles I've ever met.

lalojamesliz
08-03-2011, 03:07 AM
I was worried it might weaken the crossmember if i flatten it but i was only going to do it very little because it only rattles in the first few minutes of driving then it goes away. It just started to do this mabey a week ago but it makes my car sound like it has a aluminum can on the exhaust. Crap, i might just have something in the crossmember. Well im at my son's football practice and ill take care of this today i hope since im off tonight. Ill post my results guys

Galcobar
08-03-2011, 05:14 AM
Only rattles when cold? Sounds like something is loose and gets tight as the heat causes expansion -- is this an aftermarket exhaust?

Easy ways to check is to get under the car and shake the exhaust, see where it's contacting.

underscore
08-03-2011, 05:48 AM
Check your exhaust manifold heat shield bolts, that rattle used to drive me nuts.

Galcobar
08-03-2011, 09:25 AM
If the rattle sounds like it's coming from the underbody, wonder if it's the heat shield above the cat?

lalojamesliz
08-04-2011, 02:16 AM
Well i couldn't get to it yesterday as planned but today my schedule is clear. Its just this 102 degree weather that's keeping me from doing it now and im supposed to watch a movie with the wife :)

Galcobar: yes it a custom aftermarket 3" stainless mandrel bent system. I haven't had any issues until this poped up. I was thinking of adding a washer or two to were the crossmember bolts up to between the crossmember and the body of the ca to see if that will make enough of a gap instead of beating on my crossmember.....

Underscore: ill check those first :) lifting my car onto 4 stands is a PITA for me :(

lalojamesliz
08-04-2011, 05:15 AM
Four bolts, two nuts for the lateral cross-member. If your mid-pipe is rattling against it, you'll have a hard time flattening the cross-member -- and if you do you're compromising the structural integrity of it. I'd suggest checking your exhaust hangers, make sure one hasn't popped a weld. I find that's the majority of exhaust rattles I've ever met.

Well you just met another lol. its a stupid hanger that comes down from behind the oil pan that cracked and separated. Right before i saw that i was going to remove the crossmember bolts and noticed a bolt in the center of the crossmember that looks like it's the north to south

lalojamesliz
08-04-2011, 05:16 AM
Check your exhaust manifold heat shield bolts, that rattle used to drive me nuts.

I just met the other rattle that's been bugging me when i reach higher rpms. good idea

lalojamesliz
08-31-2011, 07:17 PM
well a couple weeks ago i took it back too the shop that installed my exhaust and they welded the hanger but its still rattling and i think its because they didnt push up the exhaust to close the broken hangar gap before they welded it so does my idea of installing a couple washers to each bolt sound like it would work guys?

temperacerguy
08-31-2011, 11:36 PM
Yes it will work, but it's not optimal. It puts a lateral force on the bolts that they are not really designed for.

lalojamesliz
09-01-2011, 05:20 PM
Even after i added the washers the SOB still rattled so i put my car on jack stands AGAIN and found a hangar that fastens a exhaust hangar to the engine out half way and the washer on that bolt was loose enough to vibrate loosely so i made the tight again and Viola! (j/k Galcobar lol) no more noise :) thank you for the help guys.

Temperacerguy, since my crossmember might have not been the issue ill remove the washers and see if i don't need them thenext time i put my car on stands AGAIN. Damn i hate doing that :( i already told the wife later this year or next year when we get a house, one of my first big purchases will be a small concrete foundation with a 2 pole car lift in the back yard! My other big purchase will be a 91-95 turbo MR2 :)