PDA

View Full Version : Replacing 8" woofer rubber surrounds

Disco Dan
08-01-2011, 08:47 PM
OK, before anyone posts a link to any number of replacement speakers, I am aware that they exist. I also know that at the moment, it's not in the family budget for me to be spending money on replacement speakers. In addition, I have 8" speaker surround replacements that I bought years ago, so I can replace the surrounds free of charge, but I can't get new speakers free of charge.

Now that that's out of the way, has anyone replaced speaker surrounds? The process seems relatively straightforward from what I've read and seen.

I have one extra System 10 8" woofer which I'm using as the guinea pig. So if I mess this one up beyond usability, I've still got the two blown ones in my car. Yay!

So far I've scraped the old surround off of the speaker, but then I noticed that the surrounds on our 8" woofers are attached to the back of the cone, not the front. When I put the new surround in place, the cone kind of crowds the hump in the surround, making me wonder if that's intentional so that you have to buy new ones.

So my question now is this: Can I adhere the new surround to the front of the cone?

I guess since I have so little to lose, I could just try it, but I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this. Any input would be great. Thanks!

The Captain
08-01-2011, 09:34 PM
Should be fine.

Disco Dan
09-02-2011, 08:40 PM
In case anyone was wondering, it worked.

I had no idea how bad my blown woofers sounded until I played music through the rebuilt speakers. I would highly recommend this process to anyone with blown System 10 woofers and is looking to replace the speakers but a) doesn't have the money to blow on other speakers and b) doesn't want to carve up the interior of the doors to make aftermarket speakers fit.

If anyone's looking to do this... well, just google "replace speaker surrounds". There are a bunch of videos on how to do it. I used contact cement, and even though our speakers have the surrounds glued to the back of the cones, I glued them to the front without incident (yet). This literally cost me $11 between the surrounds themselves ($7.00 shipped (http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-in-FOAM-SPEAKER-SURROUNDS-BEST-QUALITY-spkr-repair-/250882261057)) and about $3-4 for a little bottle of contact cement. All in all, the process takes a day or so, because you have to let them dry in two one-hour phases, and to be safe, after both phases, you should let them cure overnight. The actual work involved is probably an hour, including scraping, re-gluing, uninstalling and re-installing. You can speed things up by getting a pair of blown speakers from a junkyard and repairing those so you only have to disassemble and reassemble your doors once.

Anyway, they sound great, and they make listening to music enjoyable again!

david in germany
09-07-2011, 03:17 PM
Great job man! Do you have any pics of the process or a link for the surrounds you used?