PDA

View Full Version : System 10 issues? Anyone have an amp wiring diagram?

underscore
07-28-2011, 08:04 AM
I finally got the correct wiring harness for my deck, only to find that I now get a humming from all the speakers that seems relative to my engine revs. Since this wasn't occurring when I had the incorrect harness and was running the speakers off deck power, I assume the ground for the System 10 amp is the culprit? My only problem if I have no clue which wire is ground so that I can run a better ground wire.

temperacerguy
07-28-2011, 08:24 AM
The amp gets it's power and ground through the headunit. The ground is on pin 10 in the connector between the white wire and the light blue wire with the red stripe.

It appears that the ground point for this part of the harness is on the right instrument panel brace

The wiring diagram is available from the BGB portion of this site.

acidice333
07-28-2011, 08:15 PM
I had this problem before... I forgot if anything changed after obtaining a better ground but I do know I ended up using a resistor or two inside the amp. Something about "line out" and "speaker" and "impedances"

underscore
07-31-2011, 07:15 AM
Thanks gents, I'll try changing up the grounds and go from there. I didn't know we had the BGB on here either.

Disco Dan
07-31-2011, 07:56 PM
Mine had this issue intermittently until I changed harnesses. It would happen when I'd hit a bump. All of a sudden, I'd lose most sound from one or two speakers, usually on the same side (e.g. both front and back on the right, or front and back on the left), and there would be an accompanying high-pitched buzzing that would change pitch with engine speed. If I had a passenger, I'd just ask them to stomp on the ground in front of their seat and this would make it stop, so basically it was a loose connection at the amp. If I didn't have a passenger, I'd grab a breaker bar and ponk the floor there until it stopped buzzing.

Anyway, it turned out that the harness had been "customized" or had had attempted repairs, and apparently the "repairs" weren't of acceptable quality. That being said, I got another harness without "repairs" and it now doesn't do the humming.

That being said, I would make sure your new harness (unless it's truly NEW) is completely intact. Truth be told, I have no idea which individual wires were causing the issue, because I never looked into repairing the old harness. I had a spare car at the time and swiped the harness out of that before junking it, so swapping the harness was a lot easier than trying to fix the old one. So just to be sure, you might want to pull the harness and do quick continuity checks on each pin.

Also, doesn't the amp itself have to be grounded to the frame? Someone might be able to correct me on that last part.

temperacerguy
07-31-2011, 10:43 PM
Also, doesn't the amp itself have to be grounded to the frame? Someone might be able to correct me on that last part.

Nope, most amps are internally grounded without using the amp chassis as a ground.

underscore
08-03-2011, 05:32 AM
Dan that's exactly my problem, except I always have the buzzing and the drivers front speakers cut out at random (I don't even need to hit a bump - it just stops). Which harness are you talking about? The deck to car one? I'm not in a huge rush to fix it right now as some jackass broke into my car and stole my MP3 player, the sole source of sound in it.