PDA

View Full Version : Plastic welding urethane bumper

temperacerguy
07-27-2011, 04:26 AM
Does anyone here have first hand experience with plastic welding Toyota Urethane bumper covers?

If so, what tools work the easiest/best?

I am going to be removing the licence plate mounts from a new RC bumper, and while I could just cut and glass it in, I would like to do it right.

Thanks.

Magnum
07-29-2011, 12:08 AM
http://www.urethanesupply.com/catalog.php?category=PlastiFix%20Kits#!prettyPhoto/1/ easiest way.

temperacerguy
07-29-2011, 02:02 AM
Thank you, I know of plastifix and have been using it for about 11 years now (picked up a kit at SEMA in 2000). However it's only for use on rigid plastic. If you use it on something flexible like a bumper skin, if the skin is deformed by anything (someone leaning on it, or slight vibration in 100+ speeds), then the area where the plastifix is will not deform and separate from the bumper. It's the same reason I don't want to use fiberglass. I'm looking to plastic weld to maintain the flexibility for a long term solution.

celica9303
07-29-2011, 02:20 AM
Hummmm ill see what I used when I repaired my jdm at bumper cover. Its been a few years so ill have to look and see if not ill call my old body shp teacher and see what he would recommend.

temperacerguy
07-29-2011, 03:08 AM
Hummmm ill see what I used when I repaired my jdm at bumper cover. Its been a few years so ill have to look and see if not ill call my old body shp teacher and see what he would recommend.

excellent, what were your results?

celica9303
07-29-2011, 05:59 AM
I mainly just had to fill in scratches and one split in the bumper, the pics of my car in my project thread are all of after I did it. Ill chech and see if I still have any of the stuff I used . I do know it was made by norton.

My bumper was in really really bad shape when I got it.

temperacerguy
07-29-2011, 06:57 AM
Cool, with the filler you used, did the bumper retain the same flexibility?

BTW, just checked your thread, nice work!