PDA

View Full Version : Blowing EFI fuse

T-spoon
07-27-2011, 02:26 AM
So I got the supra to start twice, then loomed some of the wiring and later that day it would not start anymore. It's blowing the 15amp EFI fuse. I unloomed what I had done and can't find anything that would indicate a problem, it just keeps blowing the fuse as soon as the key is turned to ACC. The EFI main relay was cheap and O'reilly had one, so I swapped it out, but same problem still.

I found the plug that carries power back to the fuel pump and unplugged it, but the fuse still blows, so that makes me feel reasonable certain it's not the fuel pump. I'm really at a bit of a loss at this point. The fact that it started twice (and had turned the fuel pump on many times before in the ACC position) makes me think that it's something I did when moving the harness around.

Any ideas, or am I probably going to have to pull the harness out and go over every inch of wire looking for problems?

temperacerguy
07-27-2011, 02:59 AM
makes me think that it's something I did when moving the harness around.

Any ideas, or am I probably going to have to pull the harness out and go over every inch of wire looking for problems?

Sorry Dude, you know the answer... It's something you did moving the harness around.

T-spoon
07-27-2011, 05:43 AM
Bleh, I know.. It was just such a pain getting all the plugs through the darn firewall.. well that's how it goes with this project, one step forward... two back.. :hehe:

alltracman78
07-28-2011, 04:55 AM
You could start by unplugging the connectors until it doesn't blow the fuse.
Maybe do a couple at a time first, to narrow it down quicker and use less fuses.

T-spoon
07-28-2011, 05:27 AM
You could start by unplugging the connectors until it doesn't blow the fuse.
Maybe do a couple at a time first, to narrow it down quicker and use less fuses.

Yeah, oddly enough it basically came down to that. I first suspected that I'd damaged something cramming all the extra wiring through the stock 7M firewall hole, so I took it all out, checked all the wires, taped up any suspicious points, then sliced an old radiator hose lengthwise and secured it around the harness for protection and put that back through.. but yeah, that wasn't it. So I unplugged almost everything going to the engine, then started plugging a couple in at a time till the fuse blew, then backtracked and found the culprit. It was the sensor down on the oil pan. I don't see any problems with the wiring.. could a sensor develop an internal fault and pop the fuse?

temperacerguy
07-28-2011, 05:32 AM
No, the oil level sensor is "open" and "closed" so somewhere in that circuit the wire must be touching a 12V power wire.

T-spoon
07-28-2011, 05:40 AM
Hmmm, I'll need to check that out, it's possible I simply wired it wrong. If that's the biggest screw up I made with the wiring I'll be ecstatic :hehe:

KoreanJoey
07-28-2011, 06:19 AM
You better go knock on some wood.

T-spoon
07-28-2011, 06:37 AM
You better go knock on some wood.

:sadcry: