PDA

View Full Version : Market for RC ECU/AFM?

temperacerguy
07-25-2011, 07:12 AM
OK, so I purchased an RC engine with AFM/ECU/Harness. However I decided I am going to go full custom engine management and just make a custom harness.

Is there a market for a full uncut RC harness/ECU/AFM? If so, how much should I sell it for?

I am not selling it now, I just want to know if there's a market and what it's worth.

Thanks.

The Captain
07-25-2011, 11:47 AM
Hmmmm. You'd have to find someone who has the WTA intercooler with the correct pump. Not to mentions the JDM harness isn't made to enter on the passenger side of a USDM car. I wonder if it'll throw a CEL for the pump if you don't have a genuine Toyota unit?

Maybe the MR2 guys would know...

temperacerguy
07-25-2011, 01:13 PM
There are many published work-arounds for the WTA CEL. And it seems that extending the harness is a pretty common thing these days. The main benefit is the better air/fuel maps, and the larger AFM.

alltracman78
07-25-2011, 07:08 PM
You just need to ground 1 wire to bypass the 185 homologation water pump CEL.

Homologation ECU/AFM is well worth it.
It's a whole different world than the regular 185 electronics, especially if you have a larger turbo.

temperacerguy
07-26-2011, 02:17 AM
cool, so what's it worth? If anything? Also how is it a "world of difference?" What are the differences?

alltracman78
07-28-2011, 04:45 AM
It's worth what someone will pay for it. :)
$500?

It runs smoother, good bit more power than the US ECU. 235 hp on 95 RON + MON/2.
It's an even bigger difference with a larger turbo because it can better measure the increased airflow [though the AFM will still run out before redline].

Luni
07-28-2011, 07:36 AM
Find some sucker trying to do a RC conversion and sell it to them. I personally wouldnt pay 500 dollars for that setup, but it IS rare thats for sure.

Id personally for 500 dollars run a Gen3 EFI system with an exhaust cam retard.

The Captain
07-28-2011, 10:17 PM
Find some sucker trying to do a RC conversion and sell it to them. I personally wouldnt pay 500 dollars for that setup, but it IS rare thats for sure..
I hate fake RC's.

alltracman78
07-29-2011, 05:29 AM
The price was a rough guess. :shrug:

Gen III is definitely better than the 185 homologation stuff, but can you buy everything you need for $500? Or close to it anyways? Much much larger list of parts/labor involved in setting it up.
Plus, all the work involved in making the Gen III work on a Gen II. RC is almost plug and play, especially for a post revision 185. Much easier for the novice.

I'm not saying you're wrong Rob, I personally wouldn't buy an RC period at this point, but not because it's no good, because I've moved on from that. :P

Luni
07-29-2011, 05:45 AM
If you were me you could do it all for 500... :) Mostly cause Ive done it twice personally and walked about 10 people through it. And I know how to snipe deals on the components.

But I digress. This isnt about that. I think the OPs best bet with his stuff is putting it on Ebay, or over at at.net.