PDA

View Full Version : Tie rod ends ST205

unterseeboot
07-22-2011, 07:20 PM
So, I have a noise in the front end, have it looked at and need new Tie rod ends. I was under the impression that these were only the rubber bushing and a center bolt. The only thing I can find is what I assume is the entire tie rod.
Can I find this seperate or do I need the whole thing? Just rubber is bad on mine. Also, if anyone knows a aftermarket company that'd make the tie rod...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyota-Celica-ST205-GT4-3S-GTE-Track-Rod-Tie-Rod-End-RH-/270483049125?_trksid=p4506.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D2%26po%3D LVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D1526913255975787667

Mr.Rift
07-23-2011, 12:58 AM
Is it a clunking sound when you hit a bump? Also when you brake or speed up you notice it pulling a little bit?
Have some one stand out side as you go up a drive way (if it has a little bump at the edge) and look to see if your tires shift back and forword a bit and At that point if you hear a clunk sound its not the tie rod.

The reason I ask is because I thought I had a tie rod problem and then I found it to be a differant problem.
As for if its a tie rod the I had to order the whole thing not just the tie rod ends.
You could alway ask Lilith Toyota and if they dont know then try Rocky mountain imports

unterseeboot
07-23-2011, 02:32 PM
When going over a speed bump, at the apex of the bump, I can feel the wheel shift forward with a slight clunk. Had her on the lift and both tie rods are loose(can be moved about 35 degrees by hand) Ball joints are solid with no play in the control arms. Car is rust free so everything is easy to see under there. I just looked at Rockey Mountain Imports. Wow, I feel bad if anyone is forced to pay those prices. $650 for a ball joint, I'm afraid to e-mail for a tie rod end. lol I can't find lilith toyota though, you have a url?

KoreanJoey
07-25-2011, 07:10 AM
Tie rods should have rotational movement, just not vertical or lateral movement. How about strut mounts?

unterseeboot
07-25-2011, 11:57 PM
I will check the strut mounts. I don't see it being those though. I was under the impression that those had to pretty much rust out to be bad. Just what a mechanic told me though, I haven't any experience there.

Is there a way I can positively test the strut mounts? Other then removal and inspection.

unterseeboot
07-26-2011, 12:10 AM
BTW Found Lilith toyota heh. Having a peruse through some more parts of the site too

Mr.Rift
07-26-2011, 12:29 AM
I found rocky mountain good for some things i just got some rear brake pads and some crush tubes for my lower suspension control arms (banana arms) for a good price and they were quick.

Did you check your banana arms to see the kind of play you get out of them?

It was one of frotn end clunking and tire shifting problems

unterseeboot
07-26-2011, 11:48 AM
Found parts on a UK site. All banaba arms are tight. Bushings are all good. Tie rods are the only thing with any play. Everything I look at under there looks and feels solid. However, like I said, I'm not sure how to positively test the strut mounts.

alltracman78
07-29-2011, 05:53 AM
First off, tie rods aren't rubber at all. They're a steel ball and socket joint; both the inners and the outers. The only rubber is the boot that covers the joint.
Second, you should have no problem finding just an outer, they come separate. The 2 outers are different, so you can't buy 2 of the same.
Third, there's a very common part on the superstrut suspension [205 only] that goes bad at about 40k miles. I'm not familar with which part it is though, you're going to have to look around. Make sure that's not your problem. Toyota tie rods don't go bad all that often.

To verify if your outer tie rods are bad, jack the front of the car up and wiggle the wheel at the 3 and 9 oclock positions. If there's any movement [other than the steering shaft sliding back and forth, which the steering wheel will also move with] see where the movement is. If the outer tie rod joint has movement in it [any at all for a factory part] it's bad. If so start by replacing it and see if you still have the problem.