PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust setup.

RobUpNya
07-22-2011, 11:18 AM
I wanted to get a new exhaust system for my 02 GTS, but not sure what to get.

Can you guys post some pics of your exhaust setup and let me know how it sounds? I want something not too loud, especially highway driving.

I was looking on ebay and checking out the magnaflow system, but would it be better to get a canister style?

donteatbugs
07-22-2011, 06:27 PM
Anything other than stock will be louder, I think a lot of people like the trd one but what i do when i want loud exhaust is just unbolt the muffler and when i want it quiet again i bolt it back up.

Galcobar
07-23-2011, 01:14 AM
It's what's inside a muffler that counts. Almost every stock muffler is baffled; baffled mufflers force exhaust gases to weave through a maze, slowing down and therefore losing volume. The downside is greatly decreased efficiency.

"Turbo" mufflers use a lot less baffles, but still use some and are generally considered obsolete for performance purposes. They do however offer greater ability to tune the note of an exhaust, by choosing different baffle shapes and numbers -- a crude wind instrument, you might say.

Modern performance mufflers use a straight-through design, where a central pipe is wrapped in sound-absorbing insulation. 1950s-era versions used fibreglass for insulation, thus the term glasspack. Fibreglass isn't really a good choice for the application, however, since it tends to break down over time and blow out. Older designs also tended to have louvers projecting into the exhaust stream in order to direct exhaust gases into the insulation. Unfortunately, this introduces a great deal of turbulence into the exhaust flow, which hinders efficiency in much the same manner as a baffled muffler. Good straight-through mufflers use a smooth perforated inner pipe, and wrap it with materials such as ceramic matting and stainless steel wool. These designs offer minimal impairment, which means you can simply use a longer version to reduce the volume more without killing your exhaust efficiency.

The shape of the muffler, really, is of very little importance, aside from baffled mufflers rarely being round. A good straight-through muffler, on the other hand, can be round or oval -- and the oval shape has the benefit of having more insulation without losing ground clearance.

bzdweezy
07-26-2011, 07:09 PM
I like the way the flowmaster 80 sounds,

http://youtu.be/jwlS144zxc0