PDA

View Full Version : Engine swap, gearbox compatabilaty

replica250
07-21-2011, 11:05 PM
Hi everyone, looking to put turbo engine in my celica st202 with a 3sge motor,
Want to
Keep it fwd, will the standard gearbox fit st185 engine; also is the loom swapable?

Hookecho
07-21-2011, 11:22 PM
The transmission will work just fine. The motor you swap into the car needs to come with an uncut harness and ecu. Be careful because some places will try to sell you a motor with a cut harness.

replica250
07-22-2011, 10:37 AM
Cheers for the reply, I have another question concerning the intake, will the 3sge intake fit the st185 block, this would save me the need to buy 185 intake and loom ecu, with the 3sge acis intake I could run my loom and ecu as all but two sensors run to the manifold, only ones that don't are knock and temp sensors. It would save me some money and time rewiring?

Hookecho
07-22-2011, 01:55 PM
Just swap in the ST205 3sgte. The two induction systems are meant to work with thier specific head designs. TVIS intake compliments the ST185 head and the ACIS compliments the ST205 head design. You could likely use the 3sge intake but the 185 may suffer from it on a stock motor. Idk if the manifold will even bolt up to the 185. I imagine so.

Idk how you are saving time and money by trying to piece togther a frankenstien motor. Just buy the whole engine and drop it in. The swap is straight forward. One motor out and the other drops in. Run the loom into the cabin and plug up the ECU. If you are afraid of the wiring..,don't be. This is simple i promise.

Or just put a turbo kit on your 3sge.

replica250
07-22-2011, 09:23 PM
well iwas going to but with 124 thou on the clock im wary a little tbh.
was plaining to run 3 or 4 psi on it as aparently after 6 the map chucks a fitt so was going to air on the side of nervisness.
i found that 185 motor in the uk are pritty cheap and are basicaly the 205 miunss the intake and head work to make more power.
im going to rebuld any motor i get and as my stock 3sge is nice and relabale and my work horse i decided to look in to another motor all together and have the stock motor in the shed as back up once fitted the 185! i was as you said looking to frankesin a motor so i could use my ecu and sensors to run what is bascily a low commpression version of the engine i have in the car as is.
ive done some ground work already with a hrc fuel pump and afpr kirosuros mount inserts and the car is a gt4 replica any so have all the bonnet vents for air feed etc.
i do also have my ace, a dastek unichip q+ waiting under my bed to go on!