PDA

View Full Version : 3S-GE Tune or swap?

jimbeamerziggy
07-21-2011, 10:14 PM
I just picked up an 89 GT-S 5 speed, and I don't know much more than a few google searches about it. I know she is fun as heck to drive, and I want to tune her up to compete (at least on paper) with my buddies 94 integra. It's got the 3S-GE with about 90k on it, and while I don't know much I know that's low for a yota this old. Not sure if it makes a difference but the car is canadian. (Came without ac, I live in florida lol) My question: what would you do with her? Should I tune it as it sits, or save up for some crazy swap? (GT-4 comes to mind) Suggestions or links to find aftermarket parts would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks, and please excuse my newbness.

Farlow1
07-21-2011, 10:20 PM
Im so glad to see another floridian on here!!! lol
But do some cheap tuning on the 3sge until either it blows, you get bored with it, or you save up enough for a Beams 3sge swap or the 3sgte(what you reffered to as the gt-4) swap....

jimbeamerziggy
07-21-2011, 10:38 PM
I've got a feeling she isn't going to blow any time soon. I was thinking of starting with airflow.. the stock intake looks kinda rough, and I'm 90% sure I've got a hole in the exhaust, there's no way this car is supposed to be as loud as it is between 3200-4000rpm... then wheels/tires... after that I'm open to suggestions. As I'm not really sure what the next logical course is on these cars.

UtahSleeper
07-21-2011, 11:19 PM
Intake and exhaust is a good first step.

Then there is getting new cams. Or possibly a new ECU for tuning, or a SAFC to tinker with getting a little more power.

May want to beef up the suspension early on though.

jimbeamerziggy
07-21-2011, 11:26 PM
Ill do some research on those sleeper thanks. What size wheels can I get on this girl before I have to worry about bottoming out/scraping? And where should I start looking for parts? Any suggestions?

grimmythereaper
07-22-2011, 07:19 AM
i would go with a 16x8 and a 1 inch to 1 and half inch drop and i do agree about the suspension upgrades:)

UtahSleeper
07-22-2011, 04:04 PM
I didn't have an issue with the 17's on my alltrac.

I normally have ran with 15's though just for lower cost tires and less abrasive on rough roads.

RedRkt01
07-22-2011, 05:50 PM
I have had your same car for 14 years now so I can speak with some authority on tuning it. The first thing I'd need to know is this: When you say compete do you mean in a straight line or in the curves? The second thing that I'd need to know is what trim level the 94 Teg is. Whether you swap or not depends on those answers. Another huge question is.....how much time and money do you have? Without money you can't tune or swap so then the whole question is self defeating. Lemme know and I'll be happy to help out another '89 owner.

4thgenceli
07-22-2011, 06:11 PM
I love my '87 GTS. It needs new suspension, but it's still a wicked lil' ride. Something about running at 6k RPM....

I agree with everything though. Intake, exhaust and header will help it breath a bit more. Along with that some suspension and braking work will make it handle like a beast.

jimbeamerziggy
07-22-2011, 09:53 PM
@redrkt, 14 years? That basically makes you a GTS jedi... I want the car to handle like a champ. I'm definitely more rally than roadster. I'm not sure what trim the acura is, but its got the B18-1b. Not the vtech or anything. I helped him install a weapon r intake, and he's got 17 inch rims with lowpro dunlop rubber, and everything else is stock automatic. He is looking for smaller wheels because the 17s are too big, so I have an opportunity to snag those for free, that's why I was asking about wheel size.
As for money I don't have thousands on hand, I can set aside a hundred bucks a week to put into her, I plan on working on this car for at least a year or two.

jimbeamerziggy
07-29-2011, 06:01 AM
Annnnnnd my little project is now over before it has even started because I'm an idiot. I bought this car with a canadian title thinking "how hard can a foreign title swap be?" Now I'm being told I need a notarized bill of sale from some lady in canada whom ill never find. I have no idea what to do short of scrapping it or trying to sell for parts, which will be hard because I don't know enough about cars to even do that effectively.

grimmythereaper
07-29-2011, 06:21 AM
bonded title?

4thgenceli
07-29-2011, 04:37 PM
Find a friend in Canada, 'sell' them the car and 'buy' it back?

RedRkt01
08-01-2011, 02:33 PM
What BurnyD says^

MrWOT
08-02-2011, 05:23 AM
I'd have the 3S rebuilt with upgraded hardware myself. :shrug: gen1 is a great engine. only thing i'd change is the use of an maf and a signal converter and a wideband with tracking. last gen ge manifolding. done.