PDA

View Full Version : one piece driveshaft.

temperacerguy
07-13-2011, 12:28 AM
Does anyone have/make a one piece driveshaft for the ST185?

Thanks.

Terracar
07-13-2011, 05:04 AM
yes, there was a group buy on alltrac.net last year or '09. I will check to see if I can find it.

-Terracar

temperacerguy
07-13-2011, 05:40 AM
yeah, I found that one... it's for a carbon fiber driveshaft, but it seems few installed it, and the price ($900) is pretty insane... I am going to contact driveshaftshop.com to see if they are willing to make a single piece chromoly driveshaft.

lalojamesliz
07-25-2011, 02:19 AM
Will this have any benefit besides having only one?

temperacerguy
07-25-2011, 02:46 AM
Main benefit is weight (a one piece is much lighter, even if made in choromoly steel) and reliability. only 2 joints that can fail vs 4 joints and associated carrier bearings. Also there will be less driveline losses.

lalojamesliz
07-25-2011, 05:15 AM
Interesting.... I called a place by me a few years ago for a driveshaft for my mustang and the Guy told me $200. Anyone know the specific size needed?

temperacerguy
07-25-2011, 06:51 AM
driveshafts are not expensive... for a typical import chromoly driveshaft, you are looking at $250. (difference in price between american and Import being that everyone and their mother makes U joints and Flanges for American shafts) I called Driveshaft shop, and they don't have the measurements. I would measure it myself, but my driveshaft is in Arizona... I am sure if someone is willing to take detailed measurements of their shaft, and pictures, that we could get a nice one piece made for inexpensive.

Carbon Fiber driveshafts are nice to have, but the cost/benefit just isnt there for me (or 99% of ST185 owners out there)... the reduction in rotational mass just isn't worth the $650 premium of a CF shaft over chromoly.

I have dealt with the driveshaft shop a few times before (with both Honda and Toyota Half shafts and a driveshaft for my Supra TT) and have met the guys at SEMA a few times. Their products and service have always been top notch with their balancing perfect.

ChrisD
07-26-2011, 03:02 AM
Interested to see what you find. Also curious to the weight. The stocker is fricken heavy.

klapa
07-26-2011, 06:05 AM
driveshafts are not expensive... for a typical import chromoly driveshaft, you are looking at $250. (difference in price between american and Import being that everyone and their mother makes U joints and Flanges for American shafts) I called Driveshaft shop, and they don't have the measurements. I would measure it myself, but my driveshaft is in Arizona... I am sure if someone is willing to take detailed measurements of their shaft, and pictures, that we could get a nice one piece made for inexpensive.

If nobody else can, maybe I can measure mine early next week, as I'm planning to get the trac up for some much delayed suspension part changes.

I have dealt with the driveshaft shop a few times before (with both Honda and Toyota Half shafts and a driveshaft for my Supra TT) and have met the guys at SEMA a few times. Their products and service have always been top notch with their balancing perfect.

I had a drive shaft (propeller shaft) fabricated for my '67 Plymouth way back when. I changed my stock 8 3/4" rear end to a 9 3/4" Dana 60 - requiring a slightly different length and a different size yoke at the rear end side. All I had was a junk-yard hacked end off the donor drive shaft - so I took it to a driveline shop in south Atlanta and they made a completely new shaft for me - in addition to re-arching my rear leaf springs. They just cut the end off the donor shaft piece I had, and the other off my existing shaft that had the yoke mate to the splines for my existing my trans, and welded up a completely new one - and then balanced it.

It all only cost me about $90 as I remember - but that was in the mid-80's.

temperacerguy
07-26-2011, 06:32 AM
Drive shaft, Driveshaft, Driven shaft, propeller shaft, and cardan shaft are all the same name for the same thing... a shaft that transfers torque and rotation... all the names are correct.

Most large cities will have at least one driveshaft fabrication shop in it. I am from Arizona, and the lifted truck fad out there caused a strong market for custom driveshafts and there are many shops out there. They really are not rocket science. The driveshaftshop just learned to capitalize on the import craze back in the early 90s, and started fabbing up custom halfshafts, and embraced the import community when most of the "american muscle" shops were looking down on imports. As such, they just have the most experience with the flanges of imports, which is why I tend to use them.

To make a driveshaft for the ST185, they need to know the length, as well as the two connections at the transmission and the differential.

To measure the length, they list it here: http://www.driveshaftshop.com/driveshaft-measurement as for the splines at the front transfer case, I actually have an end cut off of a driveshaft (it came with my RC engine/Tranny) so I can send it in to them. As for the Dif connection... I don't remember how it bolts up.

There was someone in Tampa area with a white ST185 who I purchased a whole bunch of little parts from.... He had a driveshaft laying on the garage floor and even asked me if I needed it... I told him "no". I'm kinda pissed I didn't pick it up at the time...

temperacerguy
07-26-2011, 06:43 AM
OK, update: Found the contact info for the guy who HAD the driveshaft... I sent him an E-mail. Hopefully he still has it and I can run on out to Clearwater to pick it up.

And further update... His E-mail bounced back, and his PMs are full. So if you know willmatic, pass along the message :-)

allTRACway
08-24-2011, 06:43 PM
sad to hear about the abrupt stop on the project hopefully you can get it going again

DudeMan
08-25-2011, 12:23 AM
I am actually very interested in doing this also.. Maybe during the winter I'll check out a few drivetrain shops in my area and see if someone can help out.

Have you made any more progress on this Temp?

alltracman78
08-25-2011, 03:18 AM
To measure the length, they list it here: http://www.driveshaftshop.com/driveshaft-measurement as for the splines at the front transfer case, I actually have an end cut off of a driveshaft (it came with my RC engine/Tranny) so I can send it in to them. As for the Dif connection... I don't remember how it bolts up.

According to this you don't measure the length of the driveshaft, you measure the distance between the T case and the rear diff on the vehicle.
Thing is they say it has to be at ride height. I don't think it matters for our cars [rear subframe isn't going to move with the rear wheels up], but I'm not positive
If it has to be I can't measure, I don't have access to a lift anymore.

As far as the how the rear bolts up, it's a flange. Pinion gear in the rear diff has a flange bolted to it. The U joint on the prop shaft has a flat surface with 4 bolt holes that seats on the flange.
So I'm guessing measuring to the center of the rear U joint won't give the right measurement either.

Just some food for thought for whoever contacts these folks. :)

temperacerguy
08-25-2011, 07:56 AM
the abrupt stop on this happened when I went to jail, and have so far spent $5700 in legal fees to get it taken care of :-)

This would be a 5 minute measurement if I had the car here.

Funkycheeze
08-25-2011, 05:55 PM
You will need to give them the flange yoke for the transaxle side and have them use that. They were able to get a new diff side flange for me (and probably for the smaller T code diffs in the alltracs) and new U joint for the diff end. I gave them a measurement from the U joint axis on the flange yoke end to the face of the diff flange, with the flange yoke about 1/2" from all the way bottomed out in my gearbox - that way if anything moves, the driveshaft can move in and out of the transmission without causing issues. Cost about $300.

ChrisD
08-25-2011, 10:54 PM
Somewhere local? A shame I ended up tossing an extra prop shaft I had too.

Mafix
08-27-2011, 01:47 AM
yeah i could have one made and balanced in a couple hours here. but i scrapped all the spares.

temperacerguy
08-27-2011, 07:47 PM
The only problem with the local driveshaft shops, is that they don't have the flanges that we use on the ST185. They could easily make one that bolts between the U-joints, but it would not include the slip yolk, or the Diff flange.

As Funkycheeze said
You will need to give them the flange yoke for the transaxle side and have them use that.

In other words, they are hacking up your factory driveshaft to make it one piece... I am hoping to have a new, full one made.

Funkycheeze
08-28-2011, 05:13 PM
They just used the transmission side of the flange yoke. The U joints and diff side flange (and tube, obviously) are all brand new.