PDA

View Full Version : Oil filter adaptor plates

4thgenceli
07-07-2011, 03:10 AM
http://prosportgauges.com/oil-filter-adaptor-plate.aspx

What's everyone's thought on this? I'll be installing a oil temp and pressure gauge on the '89. The oil filter is in the front of the engine down by the oil pan (not like the st165/185 motors).

CriScO
07-07-2011, 03:20 AM
Shouldn't be any issues as long as you run the lines away from the manifold.

CollapsedNut
07-07-2011, 03:27 AM
I wonder if it would make the filter hit the exhaust mani on my gen1 3s...

4thgenceli
07-07-2011, 04:53 PM
I'll be running the electrical wires up along by where the AC lines sit against the fender and prolly into the cabin at the same spot (or where the harness goes in).

CriScO
07-07-2011, 05:52 PM
If you're going electrical you're probably going to need to mount the sensor separately as well. It'll depend on the gauge, but I can see there being clearance problems. Some sending units are as wide as our stock one. Just something to prepare for.

ChrisD
07-07-2011, 07:58 PM
I have one of those on my ST205. Has worked well.

Luni
07-07-2011, 10:31 PM
Lots of people run those with no problems, however some have problems too.

I personally would rather Tee off the stock pressure idiot sensor and use braided lines. I bought the lines and fittings to do this, but never did. The downside is it cost me about twice as much from summit to do it my way, but my way is a "safer" more foolproof way of doing it. Just an opinion.

temperacerguy
07-08-2011, 03:50 AM
Just a warning... Braided hoses are not heat proof. They are just rubber/teflon wrapped in a stainless steel braid. The stainless steel will transfer heat engergy to the hose material extremely well. They will get crispy close to a hot source such as an exhaust manifold or turbo over time (months to years depending on the heat output of your manifold/turbo and the proximity) then start to leak, colapse or burst (rubber tends to leak or burst, while teflon tends to colapse at bend points. a far safer way would be to use bent steel tubing flaired with AN fittings to a point far enough from the radient heat source to be safe.

ChrisD
07-10-2011, 02:44 PM
Just a warning... Braided hoses are not heat proof. They are just rubber/teflon wrapped in a stainless steel braid. The stainless steel will transfer heat engergy to the hose material extremely well. They will get crispy close to a hot source such as an exhaust manifold or turbo over time (months to years depending on the heat output of your manifold/turbo and the proximity) then start to leak, colapse or burst (rubber tends to leak or burst, while teflon tends to colapse at bend points. a far safer way would be to use bent steel tubing flaired with AN fittings to a point far enough from the radient heat source to be safe.

This option doesn't use braided hose. It's just a sandwich plate. Has a couple ports for sensors, the oil filter sits on top. It's pretty fool proof. I don't see where you could have an issue as long as there was clearance for the sensor.

reeves
07-10-2011, 03:24 PM
I don't see where you could have an issue as long as there was clearance for the sensor.
If there's clearance issues, you could simply use a shorter oil filter, like the Mobil-One filter.. It's much shorter than the OEM filter, and shorter than most other brands too.

Luni
07-10-2011, 05:55 PM

Thats all great and true in theory but tell that to all the companies making aftermarket turbos that are using high quality braided lines. The oil feed, return lines, and the coolant lines, all using the same high quality braided lines, guys been running for 50k miles with those kits on and no problems with their lines, so theres a degree of quality in there.