PDA

View Full Version : underbody pannel pic requests.

temperacerguy
07-04-2011, 03:05 AM
Couple questions....

Does anyone have pictures of the under engine plastics?

Do the North American plastics have the little duct hole for the alternator cooling ductwork?

Also... Does anyone have a set of plastics in good condition they are looking to sell. I am sure I have a set back in AZ, but they have been sitting out for 3+ years and I am sure they are brittle as all hell.

Thanks, My project has been sitting for years now, and finally enough drama is done in my life that I can go back to it.

temperacerguy
07-04-2011, 03:09 AM
Oh yeah, this is for an ST185 thanks.

temperacerguy
07-05-2011, 11:51 PM
OK... let's be a bit more specific here....

Do the US under plastics have these holes right here (circled in red)?

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff73/temperacerguy/UKundertray.jpg

These ports are for the alternator cooling snorkle tube.

DudeMan
07-06-2011, 02:38 AM
Mine does, although its a Canadian model.

I'm almost positive the US models would have them too.

Wouldn't all 185's?

temperacerguy
07-06-2011, 11:23 AM
I just want to be sure. I really don't want to purchase something that's worthless.

Galcobar
07-06-2011, 07:52 PM
Heck, I think my ST184 has that.

temperacerguy
07-06-2011, 09:16 PM
Think, or Know? anyone sure about the US models?

Galcobar
07-06-2011, 09:54 PM
I'll have to look under my car when I go out later.

temperacerguy
07-06-2011, 10:10 PM
thanks, I appreciate it. I have just wasted too much money in the past when people "are almost sure" about something when they are not.... If I havn't seen/felt/heard/smelled it for myself now, I try and get verification.

klapa
07-07-2011, 03:29 AM
If it helps any - I have an AT180, ST 184 (GTS) and ST 185 (Alltrac).

I also HAD an 1992 ST 184 GT coupe - for which I had removed the plastics and sold it to my daughter before I was able to replace them - so I still have them in my garage.

So I just went out to take a pic of them and here it is:

http://nashdom.com/3SGE/ST184%20Plastics%20%28640%20x%20480%29.jpg

I can't compare these to y ST 185 - as it has no plastics at all - nor could I compare to my other (current) ST 184 because it does not have the passenger side plastics.

Comparing to the AT 180 - they are completely different.

temperacerguy
07-07-2011, 03:44 AM
So, the picture is the ST184? so the ST184 does NOT have the snorkle ports... Thanks.
Does anyone in the US have pics of the ST185 plastics?

If anyone has an extra set of the ST185 plastics WITH the snorkle ports, are ya willing to sell them?

Thanks

klapa
07-07-2011, 04:00 AM
So, the picture is the ST184? so the ST184 does NOT have the snorkle ports... Thanks.

Yes - the picture is of a 1992 ST-184 GT plastics.

Does anyone in the US have pics of the ST185 plastics?

If anyone has an extra set of the ST185 plastics WITH the snorkle ports, are ya willing to sell them?

Thanks

Good luck - I'd love to find a set of the rear hatch plastics - which are specific to a ST-185.

The Canadian's are your best bet - as they seem to have many more of these cars than we do in the states.

Else - you need to think about "turning Japanese".

temperacerguy
07-07-2011, 04:02 AM
well, I found a set in the UK for sale, but I'd rather find something local. which "rear hatch plastics" are you talking about?

klapa
07-07-2011, 04:09 AM
The plastics in the rear hatch area - around the rear shock towers and the sides and back of the rear cargo area.

These are a different size from any other because of the raised floor pan of the 185 in the rear as compared o any other 5th gen hatch.

Mine are all kind of beat up - but for now, cosmetics are the least of my priorities.

As I said - the Canadian's would be your best bet - they seem to have many more GT-4 part outs than you would see here in the States - and the shipping is cheaper.

Wait till winter - they get hungrier then.....

temperacerguy
07-07-2011, 04:14 AM
hmm, there's a guy who's ST185 just burned up in the front after a car next to him caught fire... I'd message him as he only carried liabiltiy, and I am sure he's looking to make some money for a replacement car...

I think the title is "another all-trac lost" or something like that

klapa
07-07-2011, 04:24 AM
Lemme know man - let everybody know - there are plenty of parts there to pass on to somebody who needs them and wants them to build a car!

Also - plenty of parts there some make some change on in the process of "doing good"!

If you know about an Alltrac that is wrecked - pass it along or get it yourself so the thing does not go in the scrap metal bin!

temperacerguy
07-07-2011, 04:42 AM
Oh, it wasn't someone local... He's up on the other side of the country from me. He's on the board. here's a link to his post about the car burning up. I've had that type of fire, and while everything within 1' of the roof of the car was toast, everything down low was salvageable... I'm sure he'd be willing to help ya out if you throw him a few bucks.

http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?53479-Looks-like-the-world-just-lost-another-all-trac

T AND X
07-09-2011, 05:46 PM
There should be a Toyota part number on them. Get the number and call your local toyota dealer. They can run the part number and tell you what models it fits.

alltracman78
07-14-2011, 06:15 AM
US spec has those holes.

I'm not sure if I have a spare set in storage or not, if I can remember I'll look when I get back out there. Won't be for a few weeks.

I am sure I have a set back in AZ, but they have been sitting out for 3+ years and I am sure they are brittle as all hell.
Are they the ones from my Alltrac? :D

temperacerguy
07-14-2011, 06:31 AM
LOL No, yours were gone before the car came to me. from what I remember, he removed them to put large break cooling ducts under the front bumper.

klapa
07-23-2011, 03:56 PM
I relly didn't know what you were talking about till I took a look at the 1993 BGB I have that includes the Alltrac.

So the Alltrac had ducted cooling with a shroud over the alt?

Cool! I want it!

But.. more important things first....

temperacerguy
07-23-2011, 11:25 PM
I relly didn't know what you were talking about till I took a look at the 1993 BGB I have that includes the Alltrac.

So the Alltrac had ducted cooling with a shroud over the alt?

Cool! I want it!

But.. more important things first....

Well, I know that All factory ST185 (regardless of JDM/Euro/NA) alternators had a cooling duct on it like this:
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff73/temperacerguy/CIMG0199.jpg

However I had never seen the "snorkle" as I call it till I saw some JDM/Euro ST185s. Shortly after, I stumbled upon one when I was buying some underbody components/mounts from someone with a JDM half-cut... So I purchased it.
Here is a picture of the snorkle put on my core RC engine:
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff73/temperacerguy/CIMG0201.jpg

Here's another Angle:
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff73/temperacerguy/CIMG0202.jpg

Now, does this mean that US did not get this snorkle, or does it mean that us North Americans tend to leave off shit and not replace it when we change the oil filter, and thus no/few north americans have it after 20 years of oil changes... I don't really know, and I don't really care... I got mine now, and now I want it to work :-)

klapa
07-24-2011, 12:52 AM
Well - I have the US/Canada 1993 repair manual that def shows that both the "snorkel" (lol) and what I would call the shroud were on the N/A (USDM) ST-185 for that year. They are both referred to as a "duct" in the manual illustration.

The "proof" would be to find a P/N on Toyota DIY and verify it among the many Toyota on-line parts dealers - but I'm pretty sure it WAS originally on the USDM ST-185 based on the repair manual I have.

bloodMoney
07-24-2011, 03:03 AM
I've got a snorkel sitting in my garage right now. I kept the alt backing cover on, but it gets old putting that damn thing on and off every oil change.

As for the undertrays, my 185 didn't come with them. I've also got a spare set of AT hatch panels in the garage :)

temperacerguy
07-24-2011, 03:31 AM
I've got a snorkel sitting in my garage right now. I kept the alt backing cover on, but it gets old putting that damn thing on and off every oil change.

As for the undertrays, my 185 didn't come with them. I've also got a spare set of AT hatch panels in the garage :)

OK, so yours is in the garage.... but did it come stock on yours, or did you, or the previous owner aquire one from a foriegn market car?

As for the part numbers, they are stamped on the snorkle...
27292-74020
assy 27290-74020

Pulled it up from Lithiatoyotaparts.com and it came up for $49.00

So there ya go... Now I still need a set of ST185 underpannels :-)

bloodMoney
07-24-2011, 04:51 AM
It was an universal design for the GT4/Alltrac. It was put there to help the alternator keep cool in the extremely hot bay. So if you don't have one, blame it on the P.O.

Auto manufacturers typically only change the necessities when moving across foreign markets to maintain DOT compliance (yes, the US is considered a foreign market as Toyota is a Japanese company).

Simply put, all of them should have them. I know that one of the P.O's got rid of my undertrays long ago. As for the snorkel, I guess I lucked out b/c my JDM engine didn't have a complete snorkel (they seemed to have cut it in half).

And good luck finding those underpanels. Its easier to get rid of the herp.

amx
07-24-2011, 05:38 AM
^^ What he said. My car (USDM '90 All-Trac) came with the snorkel and the underbody panels with the little cutout. I bought the car bone stock from the original owner, and got all his maintenance records. He never touched anything in the engine bay.

I kept the alt backing cover on, but it gets old putting that damn thing on and off every oil change.

My ghetto solution for that was to fashion an oil filter "wrench" out of duct tape since there wasn't enough room to get a real wrench down there. :) Worked like a charm.

temperacerguy
07-24-2011, 05:49 AM
^^ What he said. My car (USDM '90 All-Trac) came with the snorkel and the underbody panels with the little cutout. I bought the car bone stock from the original owner, and got all his maintenance records. He never touched anything in the engine bay.

Lucky Man, few of us purchased a car with no mods.

My ghetto solution for that was to fashion an oil filter "wrench" out of duct tape since there wasn't enough room to get a real wrench down there. :) Worked like a charm.

I'm remote mounting the oil filter. I don't like the way the 3S dumps oil down the side of the block when changing the oil... Also, I want to be able to use larger capacity oil filters, and those designed for small block V8s are cheap for good quality.

Doowstados
07-24-2011, 06:02 AM
My ST184 doesn't have those holes. Just thought I would throw that out there if it could be of any help.