PDA

View Full Version : Got a text message from my parents

MCcelica
07-03-2011, 10:58 PM
First a little back story.

My sis is broke. Her Maxima is... dying for want of better term. (This is a long story of old "repairs" that make new repairs far too expensive. For example, a cross threaded transmission check bolt that was then Loctite'd into place which then became fused to the transmission casing) My mom just dragged a protection pole for a gas pump down the side of her 2003 Matrix. But it's still drivable despite being not very presentable. So, my mom decided to give the Matrix to my sister, and get a new car herself. I'm going down on the 8th to do as much cosmetic repair work as I can so it doesn't look completely like asshole when my sis gets it.

Yesterday I knew they were going to go test drive a few cars, but didn't think they were going to get one just yet. Until I got a text from my mother that read, "I got a Hyundai Genesis! Red! 2-seater! TURBO! OH YEAH!!"
http://www.edmunds.com/hyundai/genesis-coupe/2011/features-specs.html?style=101353761

Not a bad little car. I had to give me mum shit for rewarding herself for fucking up her old car. But you know how that goes. She said "I'll avoid fucking this one up for at least 5 years". I also then got real sad that my mom now drives a car that could beat the piss out of mine.

As a side story, I then got on the phone with my pops and said, "So if my transmission grenades itself here soon, are you gonna get a new car and let me have your (blue) 350Z?"...........................

His response rhymed with, "Not only no, but SHIT no!"

It was worth a shot. :D

Discuss!

Lishapalooza
07-03-2011, 11:41 PM
You know, I don't even know what I would do if my car decided to get all fucked up. God knows I don't want the Honda. And me in a truck is just a bad idea.

Not to mention, if your transmission grenades itself, you still have another car :)

MCcelica
07-04-2011, 03:23 AM
I have one that's deadline, and one that's technically down until I get money to finish it. So if my tranny grenaded itself right now, I'd be hosed.

Waffles!
07-04-2011, 03:09 PM
I was supposed to buy my mom's 325i off her for what she owed on it a few years back. She ended up practically giving it to my older brother (I say giving because he was supposed to be paying the payments and never did) who ended up wrapping it around a pole not 6 months later. I knew it was going to happen, and it hurt when I had to tell my mom "told ya so."

My dad owns a new Corvette now. I asked him if I could drive it one day and was shot down hard even though I am the safest driver of my siblings.

Luni
07-04-2011, 06:38 PM
Id make my dad eat his fucking car keys if he had a vette and wouldnt let me drive it. There would seriously be hell to pay.

MCcelica
07-04-2011, 07:21 PM
Guessing nobody cares about the Genesis ay?

Facime
07-04-2011, 07:48 PM
Im kind of meh on the whole genesis thing. Its underpowered and overweight imho. My sister owned a v6 tib and it was quite honestly a piece of crap that was constantly in the shop (although I did like the styling, and most of the problems were non drivetrain related).

I just think its funny you and your parents have that kind of relationship/conversations. I'd fall over in shock if my parents even got a cell phone and sent me a text. They dont even own a home computer. My dad is rather fond of telling me about the german motorcycle he captured in Austria in 1945 though, soooo...yeah.

Azzazzyn
07-04-2011, 08:53 PM
my dad is just learning how facebook works. His sisters made him join. A couple days later, he asked me what a poke was. so I poked him. Parents are dicks though. When he had the minivan and i had the other 240, I'd let him take it out when he had a date. Now he's got his tundra and he'll barely let me hold the keys. Oh yeah....the genesis, they're ok. she should of looked for a used sky.

DudeMan
07-04-2011, 09:11 PM
Don't worry, my mom has a faster car than me too.. Not that a V6 Mustang is that fast.

Luni
07-04-2011, 11:36 PM
I actually like the Genesis turbo cars. Theyre pretty cool looking.

Not sure about reliability, or how long theyll last. I read they have the same engine specs as an Evo, but the engines arent made exactly the same (think cast vs forged) etc.

Dont know much about em tho.

Doowstados
07-05-2011, 12:06 AM
I can't stand Korean cars in general. Cheap is cheap for a reason.

They look nice though.

Eric Barrera
07-05-2011, 12:44 AM
Nice looks, crappy engine. FTW

Car_Barn_Bandit
07-05-2011, 01:06 AM
Nice looks, crappy engine. FTW

Pot calling kettle black.

Facime
07-05-2011, 01:24 AM

ouch! lmao

Eric Barrera
07-05-2011, 01:24 AM

I'm serious, fawk you lol

bzdweezy
07-05-2011, 01:32 AM
RWD and turbo sounds fun plus throw on a after market bov and it will sound cool

Galcobar
07-05-2011, 01:47 AM
Hyundai and its lower-end Kia brand have come a long way, very quickly, since they decided to emphasize quality. Those warranties will break a company if the product isn't good enough, particularly when the prices remain relatively low. The Japanese brands come with a price premium not only because they last longer, but because they're expected to last longer -- which affects resale value, particularly.

What I really like about the Korean brands is that they are doing something I've wanted all car manufacturers to do: put nice sheetmetal on a smaller, less expensive vehicle. I don't want a bigger car, or necessarily a large amount of horsepower (particularly if it's a smaller, lighter car to begin with), but I do want something nice to look at.

cms-gt4
07-05-2011, 03:02 AM
That engine may have a low factory output, but if you do some research and see what engine that 2L shares parts with you might see where its potential lies.

85gtsblackman
07-05-2011, 03:02 AM
no one knows much on the gen coupes yet because they are too new
tiburons, well mine never had any major issues, i replaced a cv axle in it and a vavle cover gasket when i had it.

my roommate's has barely done anything outside of routine maintaince and mods on his and its over 140,000 miles on it, and its been in his family since it was new.

newer japanese cars are getting less reliable and requiring more maintaince imo

MCcelica
07-05-2011, 06:55 AM
She's not going to be modding it. Lol it's my mom we're talking about. They have money, so when it needs maintenance, they'll take it to a shop. Other than that, it'll stay in current configuration.

And the only reason I can get text and pics messages from my folks is because I taught them how to do it. Lol granted they asked, but I did tell them how.

I'll be going down on the 8th to take it for a little spin... and probably input all the presets for the radio. Looks pretty slick though, not gonna lie.

187flatliner
07-05-2011, 07:26 AM
i went to a meet with a guy that was driving one of those.....pretty cool looking car......you dont have to mod it but it would be nice to debadge it for her and buy the K5 badging.....but yeah those cars are quick.....let me see if i can find a pic real quick.

187flatliner
07-05-2011, 07:28 AM
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy155/187flatliner/IMG_2119.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b134/t_do/2011_06_05_St_Helens/IMG_6581.jpg

opps sry thats the 2011 Kia Optima Turbo

shyt.....same thing basically...lol

MCcelica
07-05-2011, 08:14 AM
Ok so here are the pics I got from the folks. I'm linking the small image because I don't feel like re-sizing.

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/3/9/8/7/moms_car_1_thumb.jpg (http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=19837)

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/3/9/8/7/moms_car_2_thumb.jpg (http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=19838)

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/3/9/8/7/moms_car_thumb.jpg (http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=19836)

And with the Tiptronic paddle shifters. :)
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/3/9/8/7/moms_car_3_thumb.jpg (http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=19839)

reeves
07-05-2011, 08:25 AM
IMO the Kia Optima looks better.. it's supposedly a bit better handling too.. the new Hyundais definitely look better than the older models.. but they went a little too far over the top with all the "curvy" styling.. not a bad car, but I'll stick with my celica and pay a fraction of the new Genesis's insurance costs.

Terracar
07-05-2011, 04:05 PM
IMO the Kia Optima looks better.. it's supposedly a bit better handling too.. the new Hyundais definitely look better than the older models.. but they went a little too far over the top with all the "curvy" styling.. not a bad car, but I'll stick with my celica and pay a fraction of the new Genesis's insurance costs.

I don't know about you, but my Celica costs me more in insurance than the Genesis would. This is if the 4 door version was chosen anyways, never did check on the 2 door.

I like Hyundai's styling and pricing. The wife owned a Sonata and it certainly has shown me how well they are building them now-a-days, but there are still aspects that I dislike. (The seats springs are too stiff and heighten the bumps in the road - at least on the '09 V6 Sonata) With that said, I still think they are doing more than most other companies in terms of styling and performance, with the exception of Ford.

-Terracar

UtahSleeper
07-05-2011, 04:26 PM
I love the Genesis Coupe. The fact that a company has finally started trying to make a true inexpensive RWD sports car. And it has a V6 with over 300 HP option. I want a coupe, partially cause I agree with the statement its a poor man's G37. That and their track edition's of the car. Brembo's and no cruise sounds like a great project. Can't remember if the track one's had AC.

cms-gt4
07-05-2011, 05:35 PM
Track has AC, and there was rumors of a v8 model in the future. Not sure if it will happen now, but its over 400hp model.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/06/23/hyundai-5-0-to-take-on-mustang-with-429-horsepower/

david in germany
07-06-2011, 06:36 AM
My 328i hits the break in miles today. Friday I will see what the M package top speed really is. :) Should be 160+mph.

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/7/8/328i.jpg

MCcelica
07-06-2011, 07:28 AM
When I talked to my pops today, he said "The owners manual said there really isn't much for a break in period"... I'll see what that means when I get down there. I find it hard to believe, but if it is true, I will beat on it like I beat on stupid people.

TNT
07-07-2011, 05:18 PM
Go Mom! If she keeps it stock, she won't have to worry about diddly. As long as she does her fluids on time and gets it detailed no less than 3 times a year, everything should remain in factory fresh shape.

It's a bit heavy and underpowered but they are adding DI to both 4 and 6 cylinders for 2012 which should up the HP substantially.

Good for her for choosing not to be ignorant about choosing a Korean car and thus getting a better package for 20% less upfront, in exchange for a slightly sharper loss in resale value which is on a gradual upswing with each year's passing.

MCcelica
07-07-2011, 06:31 PM
I'll pass the detailing bit along, but I wouldn't count on it going very far. They live on a dirt road, so it's going to get dirty no matter what. She's the type that if she's going to sell it down the road though, she'll just get everything fixed prior to sale.

Galcobar
07-07-2011, 09:41 PM
At least keep a good wax coat on it, to save the paint from the abuse.

MCcelica
07-08-2011, 02:25 AM
That will happen, at very least.

TNT
07-09-2011, 09:55 PM
Keeping it looking clean is an entirely different necessity than keeping the car protected with wax and interior protectant. I let my silver car go filthy in the summer rain, but my car still looks like my sig. No fade on the roof whatsoever, and it's going on 10 years old.

Plus if things do break, parts are cheap on the whole (for a new car).

MCcelica
07-10-2011, 03:24 AM
I went and drove (read: beat on it) it a little today. It's pretty fun. Stock for stock it handles better than my 7th gen (has a factory 2 pt strut tower brace) and it definitely gets up faster too. The tiptronic is smooth and is more controllable than that of the Camaro. I dig it.

Nitro_Alltrac
07-10-2011, 02:44 PM
My wife is due for a new car soon. I've been considering one of these. I've seen quite a few around here. It's a good looking car and their quality has improved by leaps and bounds. I worked at a dealership that sold Hyundais back in the early '90's. At that time whenever we sold a new Excel/Accent with an automatic tranny, it IMMEDIATELY went to the service department where they replaced the transmission. This happened before the buyer ever took delivery. Not long after that the new warranty came out and the quality quickly began to improve. I won't be afraid to buy a Hyundai or Kia now. Like someone said earlier, you don't put that kind of warranty on a car, build shit and stay in business.

TNT
07-10-2011, 11:20 PM
Finding a good dealership is key with these cars though. The awesome warranty is bogus if you need an attorney present to get any kind of warranty repair authorized. But when you do find one that's easy to deal with, the 5 yr/60k bumper to bumper and 10 yr/100,000k powertrain warranty are worth their weight in gold.

Speaking of transmissions, if your mom has a 2.0T auto, she has an Aisin tranny. I'm sure you guys are familiar with Aisin's quality.

The Captain
07-11-2011, 12:12 AM
I can't stand Korean cars in general. Cheap is cheap for a reason.
GM laughed at Toyota in the 60's too.

Toyota is turning into GM.

The Japanese have every right to fear Hyundai.

85gtsblackman
07-11-2011, 01:13 AM
GM laughed at Toyota in the 60's too.

Toyota is turning into GM.

The Japanese have every right to fear Hyundai.

newer japanese cars are getting less reliable and requiring more maintaince imo

UtahSleeper
07-11-2011, 03:58 AM
There is nothing wrong with inexpensive cars.

Just cause the car is priced low, doesn't mean it's cheap.

Mind you, I would say original Hyundai's were cheap as hell. Unfortunately, with how things are, I would buy a new Hyundai over a Toyota cause atleast Hyundai is releasing things with a personality. Toyota quit doing that with the killing of the MR-S and Celica.