PDA

View Full Version : Torn CV Boot

sailingpj
07-01-2011, 02:11 AM
I just got 4 new tires for my car yesterday, and the shop who put them on told me that I have a torn CV boot. Since he wasn't an actual mechanic, just the clerk who takes credit cards, he couldn't do anything more than point out the CV boot on a wall chart and tell me how much it would cost to replace.

1)They told me that it would be better to replace the half shaft instead of just the CV Boot. Is that true?

2)They gave me an estimate of $210 to replace the half shaft. How much should this repair cost?

3)Is this a repair that can be done with minimal tools/knoledge?

Facime
07-01-2011, 02:39 AM
is this for the 92?
1. Its possible to just do a boot replacement and Ive gone that route in a pinch, but the bolt on kind are difficult to get to seal and the glue on kind make a better seal but are tricky to work with and dont last.
2. Thats about right for the shaft and labor. should take about 1 to 1.5 hours to do the job, and the shaft runs about $60 (shipped from rockauto price, local results may vary). I did this job on a Chevy Cobalt just a couple days ago and start to finish took me under and hour.
3. Its a relatively easy job to perform and the only special tools you will need will be at least one failry large socket (30mm?) and a BFH.

sailingpj
07-01-2011, 02:44 AM
Yeah, its for the 92.

I've got tons of sockets. How high will I need to lift the car to get this done? Obviously enough for me to get under there, so would 2-3 feet work?

Galcobar
07-01-2011, 02:45 AM
Replacing the shaft is usually suggested if you do not know how long the boot has been torn -- loss of grease and the introduction of grit into the joint can ruin it

sailingpj
07-01-2011, 02:51 AM
I don't think it would have been torn very long. I am pretty sure it got torn tuesday night. I was going around this corner and hit a pothole. My front left tire popped when I hit the pothole and due to the rain, and the speed at which I was traveling I spun out and slid over a curb. Luckily I was the only car around, so as far as I saw then the blown tire was the only problem.

If it would be better to replace the shaft how difficult is that?

Galcobar
07-01-2011, 02:57 AM
A bit of a pain, but if you just need the boot the easiest/cheapest solution is often to get a proper boot and then simply pull the outer end of the half-shaft.

93celicaconv
07-01-2011, 04:13 AM
Well, given that the boot may have been torn when it was raining, moisture may be in there now also. That isn't good either. And it takes as much, if not more, labor to put on a proper boot, as the half-shaft needs to be removed anyway to slip the boot off and put the new one on. Most places would charge you almost the same to replace the boot or to replace the entire half-shaft.

Most places recommend a front-end alignment after replacing a half-shaft. Given you hit a pot hole and spun out, you could probably use one anyway.

sailingpj
07-01-2011, 04:15 AM
I got the alignment done when they put the tire on. It was way out of spec.

So it sounds like the half shaft is the way to go, and $210 is not a rip off for that.

93celicaconv
07-01-2011, 04:20 AM
No, that's the general price range for a half-shaft replacement. However, it would have been nice to not have to do an alignment twice. Like I said, most shops highly recommend an alignment when a half-shaft and removed and reinstalled, or replaced. Can't assume the alignment will stay good during a replacement like this. The shop manual also states the same on a half-shaft replacement - realignment required.

sailingpj
07-01-2011, 04:28 AM
Well, nothing I can do about that now. They didn't tell me about it until they were already done with my car. Not that I have $200 sitting around to do it now anyway.

Time to see about an interest free loan from the Bank of Dad.

Galcobar
07-01-2011, 04:53 AM
If you're just replacing the boot, it's not a $200. Actually, for a re-manufactured half-shaft, it's what, about $80 in the U.S.?

sailingpj
07-01-2011, 05:06 AM
I just looked up the procedure for replacing the shaft in the bgb, and I think I can do that.

Any suggestions on where to buy a half-shaft?

Facime
07-01-2011, 05:13 AM
Rockauto.com or napa

Most decent alignment shops have a 30 day guarrantied re-align policy around here.

sailingpj
07-01-2011, 06:18 AM
Well, rockauto wants half what Napa wants. I think I shall shop there.

Facime
07-01-2011, 06:52 AM
dont forget shipping, but yeah Rockauto is a great place for decent stock replacement parts.

sailingpj
07-01-2011, 08:39 AM
They are asking $66 and change including shipping. Napa wants $120+.

Galcobar
07-01-2011, 09:30 PM
I know Rockauto has great prices, but that seems an unusually wide margin. Core charges involved?

sailingpj
07-01-2011, 09:47 PM
I do not know. That is just what I saw.

CriScO
07-01-2011, 10:20 PM
I know Rockauto has great prices, but that seems an unusually wide margin. Core charges involved?
It's not that huge compared to average store prices. NAPA is expensive. At most chains in the US a new axle runs around $80 with no core, reman is usually $60 with a $60 core.

Hipster Lawrence
07-02-2011, 12:47 AM
If its not making noise you are better off replacing the boot.