PDA

View Full Version : 3S-FE to 5S-FE Swap or new HG

Zaluss
06-27-2011, 06:07 PM
So some of you may read earlier I replaced the heater core in my 89 Celica GT. Unfortunately due to me being brand new to cars I unfortunately did not bleed the system properly. Upon driving the car the heater hose connection to the firewall leaked all my coolant, overheated the engine, and blew the head gasket. Its sitting in my garage now with the heater hoses fixed, replaced thermostat, etc. No more leaks from underneath the engine.

Checking the oil and coolant there are no signs of mixing however there is still coolant leaking from the exhaust which leads me to believe that its leaking internally through the combustion chamber and out the exhaust. No bueno. Engine already has 186,000 miles on it.

So heres the question. Would it be in my best interest to either:

1) Replace head gasket.
2) Replace head gasket and replace with re-manufactured cylinder head.
3) Engine swap.

If #3 I was thinking either another 3S-FE or a 5S-FE. Keep in mind I've never swapped an engine before. Hell, I've only been interested in cars for the past month now. I have the cherry picker I just need to know whether my car will need new wiring harness, ECU, etc to make it work or else should I just find a nice 3S-FE to drop in with lower mileage.

Any insight to this would be great!

The ultimate goal here isn't speed or performance. Just need a reliable car to drive up north a few hundred miles by January so I have plenty of time. Mainly restore work on the body after I fix the engine.

UtahSleeper
06-27-2011, 06:11 PM
I would just replace the HG and get the head checked out. That way you can get the car on the road quicker.

4thgenceli
06-27-2011, 07:00 PM
Yep, the head gasket is a fairly simple & easy job on the 3sfe. As long as the head is in good shape you're set. A quick reman on the head should only be like 200bux and you should be aready to run quickly after that.

Zaluss
06-28-2011, 07:09 PM
Sounds like a plan then. Any suggestions on where to buy a replacement head gasket/head cylinder if I need to? I mean for around $100 more I could get a brand new remanfactured head cylinder from what I've seen.

Waffles!
06-29-2011, 01:47 AM
You should be able to get a head gasket from Lithia Toyota (they're a board vendor) or your local Toyota dealership.

4thgenceli
06-29-2011, 04:32 AM
Do as the chick in the bikini in the deuce says.

Hit up Aaron here or your local dealer. Also remember you get what you pay for. While you can get a reman'd head for $100, (at least here) I was able to have my head stripped, checked for issues, cleaned up, valves cleaned & made sure they're within spec, new guides & seals installed for around $150 (maybe $180, I don't recall).

Zaluss
06-29-2011, 06:08 AM
Ok, browsing their website and judging by the price it looks like its just the gasket itself. Should I be looking for a complete kit with the head bolts? Any special tools will I be needing besides a socket wrench? I'm probably going to just have the cylinder head redone at a local place here. Prices are reasonable.

Zaluss
07-01-2011, 07:50 AM
Can anyone link a step by step guide to removing everything to get to the cylinder head? I have the haynes manual but its very vauge and without pictures im completely lost.

klapa
07-03-2011, 05:28 PM
Can anyone link a step by step guide to removing everything to get to the cylinder head? I have the haynes manual but its very vauge and without pictures im completely lost.

The BGB here is pretty good for that - though if memory serves me right the BGB is sort of lame for the 4th gen.

Aside from that - the "repair manual" on the BGB page is better.

From what I have read around here - it is always a good idea to replace the head bolts with new ones.

The Haynes manual is very vague because it attempts to include ALL Celicas from the 4th gen through the 7th gen - so it could not possibly be very detailed for each and every Celica.

I find at times that it helps to print out the BGB/Repair manual pages - and then also print out the applicable part number pages from ToyotaDIY dot com.