PDA

View Full Version : High Output Alternator

DudeMan
06-27-2011, 01:01 PM
I attempted to take my alternator apart about a week ago and I ended up damaging the rotor/shaft trying to remove the pulley.

Stupid mistake, I know.

Anyways, I'm interested in finding a refurbished or remanufactured one so I don't have to mess with trying to restore it. The alternator sits right at the front of the engine bay so its important to me that its in good condition.

I really like the stock Toyota/Denso alternators but I'm having a hard time finding any in good shape. I'd rather not get one from NAPA since they want nearly $200 and their parts are crap.

So far the best I've found are these 160 amp, high output alternators on eBay. Its cheap, less than $150 shipped. But are they any good?

I don't really need a high output alternator but I guess it wouldn't hurt.. What do you guys think? Any other options?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190450720931&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

alltracNyx
06-27-2011, 04:59 PM
We purchaed one of the ebay ones for our 6th gen about three months ago, and it's been working great. Since we haven't had it for a really long time, I can't give anymore feedback, but so far, so good.

acidice333
06-27-2011, 08:37 PM
I bought one of mine from that guy years ago when I had my clutch done and its still going... mine was advertised 160 but it tested out to be 120 or something like that.

MCcelica
06-27-2011, 09:26 PM
Hmm... alternators... I've had the same one I bought the car with since then... it has an overdrive pulley on it. Soooo might be contemplating this myself soon. Lol

DudeMan
06-27-2011, 11:33 PM
Awesome.

Might order one up by the end of the week.

Guess it goes without saying I'll be upgrading the big 3 also. Just did it in my truck with 4 gauge welding cable and holy fuck what a difference.

acidice333
06-29-2011, 08:06 AM
Yeah I'm gonna buy me another one for my 205 motor.. just gotta find the proper one.. I remember having a look before but wasnt sure lol.. I think? I need the oval? one

UndaGrwnD
06-30-2011, 07:13 AM
Hmm... alternators... I've had the same one I bought the car with since then... it has an overdrive pulley on it. Soooo might be contemplating this myself soon. Lol

what type/brand is the overdrive pulley? got a link maybe?

MCcelica
06-30-2011, 05:36 PM
I have no idea what type/brand it is. All I know is I had to get a longer 6 rib serp belt for it as opposed to the 5 rib one all the auto parts stores thought I should have because of it. It's in my 7th gen anyway.

acidice333
06-30-2011, 07:43 PM
Wouldnt getting a longer belt mean you got a underdrive pulley instead? Overdrive would shorten the amount of belt needed, where as Underdrive would require more belt..

lalojamesliz
12-09-2011, 07:21 AM
I bought one of mine from that guy years ago when I had my clutch done and its still going... mine was advertised 160 but it tested out to be 120 or something like that.

Back from the dead but has anyone else tested that same 160 amp alternator on ebay? The amps i settled on for my all-trac are rated at 1100 wrms and im worried about how my alternator will keep up my red top optima. I did the big 3 upgrade already and relocated it to the back.

UndaGrwnD
12-09-2011, 07:54 AM
and does anyone know a OVERDRIVE pulley that fits on the alternator ?

Car_Barn_Bandit
12-09-2011, 08:15 AM
It fits! Your mechanic just doesn't appreciate how tight the fit is!

lalojamesliz
12-09-2011, 09:54 AM
and does anyone know a OVERDRIVE pulley that fits on the alternator ?

i bought the one i have on summit i think. don't remember much information about it but it has a extra groove or two on it. I found the info on a thread on here

90GT2
12-09-2011, 07:00 PM
I saw people referring to the big three upgrade, what are they referring to?

Car_Barn_Bandit
12-09-2011, 07:56 PM
I saw people referring to the big three upgrade, what are they referring to?

It means improving the stock wiring of the 3 largest wires in the engine bay. You add a new wire at 3 locations to allow your electrical system to perform better over.

Alternator to Battery
Engine to Ground (frame)
Battery to Ground (frame)

This eliminates resistance on the stock charging system, meaning your battery can charge better, and your alternator won't have limits if it needs to power accessories like lighting. You use a good 4ga wire and use with the existing harness.

Sent via Imperial Comlink

Eric Barrera
12-10-2011, 07:13 AM
For my big 3 I used 0 gauge wiring and replace my battery terminals with this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/BT-859-4P-GOLD-1-0-4-2-8-GAUGE-WIRE-GA-CAR-BATTERY-TERMINAL-POST-/130580009272?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&vxp=mtr&hash=item1e672cd138

UndaGrwnD
12-11-2011, 12:54 AM
It fits! Your mechanic just doesn't appreciate how tight the fit is!

Haha yaa

david in germany
01-05-2012, 03:20 PM
The Big 3 also makes the car run better. Your computer gets better voltage and works more efficently. Don't be suprised if you expirence better MPG after doing it or the car feeling more responsive. No Palacebo.

4thgenceli
01-05-2012, 03:42 PM
DiG speaks the troof. After the big three upgrade on my 87 I noticed a smoother idle and more response when I punched teh throttle. Also no longer had dimming lights when the system was a bumping.

Sent from my iPhail

temperacerguy
02-02-2012, 03:08 PM
DiG speaks the troof. After the big three upgrade on my 87 I noticed a smoother idle and more response when I punched teh throttle. Also no longer had dimming lights when the system was a bumping.

Sent from my iPhail

And his teeth were whiter, his breath smelled better, and he was more attractive to the opposite sex!

I don't really trust the E-bay alternators... I am considering having mine re-wound by Dominic Irragi.

Car_Barn_Bandit
02-02-2012, 05:34 PM
My eBay alternator 3 years later with 40k miles of use on an overdrive pulley: still cranking amps.

temperacerguy
02-03-2012, 04:47 AM
My eBay alternator 3 years later with 40k miles of use on an overdrive pulley: still cranking amps.

What is the output at idle, off idle, and 5Krpm? how are you measuring the output?

I have found that many of the low dollar "High output" alternators are maybe putting out 120amps at most just off idle.

temperacerguy
02-04-2012, 02:19 AM
With all the talk of High Output Alternators, I contacted Domminick Iraggi about alternators for our cars...

so I am discussing a group buy on Iraggi Alternators...

here"Iraggi Alternator group buy discussion (http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?55323-Judging-interest-Iraggi-High-Output-alternators.)

Car_Barn_Bandit
02-04-2012, 03:38 AM
I just had everything on, and powered while at an auto parts place. The amp tester said my output was more then enough to recharge the battery, so I am happy with the results. I should get it tested so I can share results.

An Iraggi alternator would be a great upgrade though.

temperacerguy
02-04-2012, 07:05 AM
I am going to do the upgrade because I want very stable voltage for all my electronics (I run more electronics in a car than a KISS concert). I don't wish to have to go overkill on my battery to handle the load when it outlasts my amp source.

Just so I don't have to explain it later (as whenever I talk about alternators and batteries I always get asked) I am going to give a very over simplified explaination of how a battery and alternator work...

a battery is just a storage medium... It's job is to take in energy and store it. It can only store so much.
an alternator's job is to power the vehicle and to charge the battery.

When designing a new car, the electrical engineers look at all of the factory electrical components... the small stereo, the ignition system, the ecu, the headlights, the wipers, and they add up all that amperage draw. They take that figure (lets say 60 amps), and add just a little extra (20 amps)... and use an alternator that can handle that load (80amps). They figure that things such as the cigarette lighter will only draw for the 10 seconds it takes to heat up the lighter... and the blinkers are not on for that long, so rather than build an alternator that can handle the load of EVERY component on the car... they install a battery that will handle that temporary load when it exceeds the output of the alternator.

Example... let your car idle at night.... turn on your headlights, put your foot on the brakes, turn your stereo on/up, push your cigarette lighter in, roll your window down and keep holding the button down... Now, turn on your hazards. If you have a strong alternator and a very efficient electrical system, then your headlights will stay bright no matter what's going on with your hazards. However, if the electrical load is higher than your alternator output... you will see your headlight (and perhaps your dash lights) Dim and brighten in opposite sync as the headlights... this is because the electrical load is greater than the output of your alternator, and the electrical system keeps having to "borrow" from the battery.

Now most of the 6G and older celicas were designed in a time where there really wasn't much extra load you could place on your electrical system... So the electrical systems weren't designed for much load. Sure there were some people who put small amps in their car, but not the populous there is today...

Now there are 1500W amplifiers, TV screens, 55-90W headlamps, in-dash stereos with Navigation, and 90% of the population has something other than a cigarette lighter plugged into their 12v cigarette lighter port at all times. Each one of those draws a load, and that electricity has to come from somewhere.

Some/Most can get away with a bigger battery... But think of that as getting a credit card with a bigger spending limit.... While getting an alternator is getting a better job to pay for it in the first place.

lalojamesliz
03-03-2012, 05:17 AM
damn i still need a better alternator, i just measured my red top optima voltage and its 12.0v temperacerguy, i saw your gp but thats a bit more than what i want to/ can spend so i need a lower price option. my problem is i have my i/c pump and fan always on and i added a jl 500/1 v2 amp along with a xtant x604 so thats 1100 watts rms of regulated power together and i do crank it up often. i think im going to try the ebay special again......

boo_guy
03-04-2012, 05:52 PM
160 amp remanned for $105 -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/190551026364?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

lalojamesliz
03-05-2012, 05:08 AM
Thanks. I couldn't find them listed so I found a different item this Guy was selling and I emailed him and I guess he listed some up. I found this site http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/catalog.php?item=451 and just out of curiosity I looked up the alternator for my 08 sequoia and they gave the option to send your alternator in and they just rebuild and upgrade that one for like $100 or more less than buying a upgraded alternator alone. I'm calling tomorrow and I still have the original alt from my all-trac and ill send that one in to have it upgraded/rebuilt. I'm just wondering what the difference is between these alternators and the ones from the seller ace alternators on eBay

lalojamesliz
03-06-2012, 07:56 PM
I finally called and the guy told me to subtract $100 if we send him a alternator instead of just buying the whole upgraded unit from him so the price will be $185 I think but I didn't ask about shipping. He also told me it should put out right around 100 amps at 800 rpm idle and the full amount at around 16-1700 rpm. Now to figure out what is the difference between this guy and the guy on ebay

lalojamesliz
03-08-2012, 08:40 AM
since i now have some extra cash i would love to get the Iraggi alt temperacerguy is having the group buy for but so far not enough people want to/cant join the great buy.... oh well, i would rather buy a great item with a reputation instead of something on ebay even if its 3x the price...... yikes!

boo_guy
03-08-2012, 04:33 PM
Yea they are pretty nice looking :D

Nitro_Alltrac
03-09-2012, 01:14 AM
I"m thinking you might just need to buy a generator and put in place of the back seat.:toung:

lalojamesliz
03-09-2012, 07:50 PM
As long as you bolt it down and route the exhaust out of the car it should work