PDA

View Full Version : scary moment, or why you never rely on a jack to hold up a car.

Facime
06-23-2011, 12:13 AM
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/264133_213948521977873_100000881806029_567420_3975 418_n.jpg

Lifting a Yukon XL Denali today for some transmission service and BAM! Broke my floor jack. One of the bolts holding the ram to the frame broke. It bent the 1/4" steel plate frame. I already had jack stands under the rig and was simply repositioning them so it fell right back down on the stands, and wedged the jack under the frame.

NEVER EVER take short cuts.

(I managed to rebuild the jack with a little work and some new bolts, and got back to work. no harm no foul)

grimmythereaper
06-23-2011, 12:23 AM
wow man, glad u made it out in piece

T-spoon
06-23-2011, 12:37 AM
Eeewwww, glad the stands didn't slip. But yeah, that's really good reminder for everyone to treat jacks like they're holding up a couple tons of dead weight.

Waffles!
06-23-2011, 01:17 AM
Woof. I'm glad to hear there were no injuries.

CollapsedNut
06-23-2011, 01:30 AM
Car fell on my dads friend,family friend, about 7 years ago. Noone found him for a few hours. He died.

Lonestag
06-23-2011, 01:33 AM
Thats scary man.

I'm not sure I would trust a jack that I rebuilt, but I guess if you know what you are doing it will be fine...

Hookecho
06-23-2011, 02:21 AM
Shite!

KoreanJoey
06-23-2011, 03:14 AM
Yup... jackstands ftw.

Facime
06-23-2011, 03:26 AM
Thats scary man.

I'm not sure I would trust a jack that I rebuilt, but I guess if you know what you are doing it will be fine...

I trust it for the very reason Im still here right now. I use a jack to lift and NEVER while Im under something. I did everything right, and the stands saved me from injury. It will be no different after the repair (in fact Im probably going to be more concious of it from here on out)

85gtsblackman
06-23-2011, 03:33 AM
stand fell out from under the 3rd gen when the trans poped free, and i was under it, car teetered slightly, then rested on 3 stands, i have a pic somewhere of it

oh and my back still hurts till this day from holding a camry from crushing my friend's dad's arm after the jack poped out

MCcelica
06-23-2011, 07:36 AM
Holy shit. That'd suck. Lol

cms-gt4
06-23-2011, 08:01 AM
Just out of curiosity, what weight rating was the jack built for?

Facime
06-23-2011, 09:14 AM
Its an old old old 3.5 ton jack. It was worn out. I bought from an old shop going out of business and its been limping along for a while now as is. This gave me a perfect excuse to replace some hardware.

reeves
06-23-2011, 03:54 PM
Man, glad to hear you came out ok.. A friend of mine had his jack collapse while doing a routine oil change.. BUT he wasn't under the car when it collapsed (waiting for the oil to drain out).

MrWOT
06-23-2011, 04:00 PM
I had a jack lose a seal on me while holding up the 4spd tranny I was swapping into my 82' F150....

I was lucky the trans didnt weigh all that much, I was just trapped under it until my father showed up....

Lets just say he had a chuckle before he got it off of me :rolleyes: Never going to live that down.

Never trust those things, treat them like they are ALWAYS about to explode.

Eric Barrera
06-23-2011, 04:55 PM
Glad your okay man

85gtsblackman
06-24-2011, 01:14 AM
oh and i had a lift, yes a lift fail on me. man that roadmaster was fucked

Galcobar
06-24-2011, 01:37 AM
Still have a scar from a jack failure -- though to be clear it wasn't the jack that failed, it was an idiot.

Car had to be up fairly well in the air, so we had a two-jack system. Screw jack to put the car off the ground enough to fit in a bottle jack, which lifted the car enough to get the stands where we needed. The reverse obviously involved pulling the stands, then using the bottle jack to lower the car onto the screw jack.

At least, that was my plan. The then-soon-to-be brother in law of the friend I was helping decided that it'd be faster to kick the bottle jack out once we had the jackstands removed. I was in the middle of positioning the screw jack when he made that decision. My finger, between the edge of the car's jack point and the cradle of the screw jack. Still not sure how it wasn't crushed. All I got was a compression cut in line with the edge of my fingernail on my left index finger -- the kind of cut where the flesh is torn by compression. No nerve damage, just a thin white scar about seven millimetres long.

Facime
06-24-2011, 04:10 AM
^^ holy god that just sounds brutal.

Ive never been one to take too many chances under big heavy objects (hell, I dont even like going in caves for fear of a cave in.). The reason for this was a guy I went to high school with was killed under a car due to a jack failure.

KoreanJoey
06-24-2011, 07:34 AM
oh and i had a lift, yes a lift fail on me. man that roadmaster was fucked

This is why lifts have locks... Was it THAT old or did someone do a nice bypass job on the locks?

Sopaynefull
06-24-2011, 07:46 AM
Good for you putting this post / picture on here. I know whenever I get stuff in the mail / UPS, etc, I am usually so excited about it the tendency is to try and jam and get to work! It's important for us to have reminders like this from time to time so we slow down! Thank-God you were being smart and going by the book using jackstands. And there's no reason why you shouldn't "trust" a jack you rebuilt- in fact, we aren't supposed to "trust" the jack at all.

Eric Barrera
06-24-2011, 03:31 PM
Good for you putting this post / picture on here. I know whenever I get stuff in the mail / UPS, etc, I am usually so excited about it the tendency is to try and jam and get to work! It's important for us to have reminders like this from time to time so we slow down! Thank-God you were being smart and going by the book using jackstands. And there's no reason why you shouldn't "trust" a jack you rebuilt- in fact, we aren't supposed to "trust" the jack at all.

Truff

schnee
06-25-2011, 05:40 AM
http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr292/_MrMagoo/Jokes/SafetyAwards.jpg

You can never be too carefull!. I once saw a friend lose a foot when a chain hoist broke

cms-gt4
06-25-2011, 08:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLP0LKGadnI&NR=1

Waffles!
06-25-2011, 09:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLP0LKGadnI&NR=1

That video always makes me cringe. I feel sorry for that car.