PDA

View Full Version : Beams info?

UtahSleeper
06-22-2011, 05:49 PM
So, I have been throwing around the idea of getting a red top beams with a 6 speed transmission for my Corolla when I kill it's motor. I figure 6 gears and 200 HP would be nice, plus an eventual turbo :)

My question for those that know, how hard is it to get replacement parts for those motors? Is it something that can be bought at a US Yota dealer or will I have to learn to browse the Japan auction sites?

KoreanJoey
06-23-2011, 03:13 AM
Um... redtop didn't come with a 6spd. I'm not sure about availability in the US but you can always order from Fensport (they speak english!).

Luni
06-23-2011, 06:04 AM
Lithia Toyota carries a lot of normal Beams type parts. Like, timing belts, pulleys, valve cover gasket kits, etc. They share a lot of seals and other parts with 3SGTEs, so thats not much of an issue.

But I dont know about a 6 speed on a Beams. Maybe a few of the rare ones, had it, but if you get one, you will pay the pretty penny for it.

KoreanJoey
06-23-2011, 06:11 AM
6spd was w/ the RWD Blacktop Beams motors.

UtahSleeper
06-23-2011, 07:06 AM
My bad. Could have swore I had seen the 6 speed with a red top, but now that I think about it it may have been a black top.

I am not as concerned with black versus red since I would turbo it eventually, I just want the extra gearing to go with :)

And thanks for the info. This way I know I can keep considering it since parts will not be a pain to get. I see enough motors with trans for around 2300 that it seems feasible and within price since both those items are in questionable shape in the corolla :)

KoreanJoey
06-23-2011, 08:03 PM
Red top is fwd, btw.

UtahSleeper
06-23-2011, 08:42 PM
Wouldn't it still bolt on to the RWD trans of the blacktop?

KoreanJoey
06-24-2011, 01:28 AM
Probably but it's supposed to sit all slanted (at least in fwd form). I dunno, I've got a blacktop 4ag in my corolla (also from a fwd) and I never bothered to change anything... Plus the blacktop makes more power anyways, and if you get the clip you get the trans too.

schnee
06-25-2011, 06:08 AM
So, I have been throwing around the idea of getting a red top beams with a 6 speed transmission for my Corolla when I kill it's motor. I figure 6 gears and 200 HP would be nice, plus an eventual turbo :)
Umm, the Beams & box won't fit - you'll need special mounts and custom shafts

There is a 6 speed for your motor - the BZR box
Better to fit a 7A block to your head with the BZR box

Wouldn't it still bolt on to the RWD trans of the blacktop?
Yes but you need the RWD sump

cms-gt4
06-25-2011, 08:29 PM
For the price of a beams, I would likely just get a 1jz and 5speed.

UtahSleeper
06-27-2011, 04:34 PM
Umm, the Beams & box won't fit - you'll need special mounts and custom shafts

There is a 6 speed for your motor - the BZR box
Better to fit a 7A block to your head with the BZR box

Yes but you need the RWD sump

How would a 7a fit a 3tc head? And I don't want to got with an A series motor. Trying to go with a newer motor design and the only one's I have seen in the Corolla's is a 2rz which I am not that pleased with.

Also, for any rear end I would replace mine with, I will need a new drive shaft anyway so that doesn't concern me.

Also, since most motor options require modifying of mounts and such, wouldn't it be possible to make mounts to have it fit? What ever motor I end up swapping I planning on learning to weld, then making motor mounts and modifying the transmission crossmember. Is there something specific about the Beams that will make it not fit even with modifications?

CMS: The price I have seen on the beams, with the tranny and rear end seems like a better deal for me. The 1 and 2J's are a cramped fit and heavier then the Beams/3sge and I don't want the car to only go in a straight line.

UtahSleeper
06-27-2011, 04:42 PM
eBay auction that has what I am considering (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-IS300-SXE10-Altezza-Beams-3SGE-6sp-Engine-Swap-Set-/350472936976?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5199d09e10)

not12listen
06-27-2011, 05:21 PM
if i had the choice, i'd look into the 3rz. its basically a 3s, but bored out from 2.0L to 2.7L. still a squared setup too.

the thing about the BEAMS that has always been very lackluster to me, was the powerband. yes, it has 200hp, but its like a Honda engine - the power is only when you wring out the engine. my wife drove in a few different BEAMS equipped vehicles - the power does not come on until 5000rpm or so.

cms-gt4
06-27-2011, 10:10 PM
I guess the prices have come down. Last time I saw them they were in the 4-5k range before shipping.

UtahSleeper
06-27-2011, 11:08 PM
if i had the choice, i'd look into the 3rz. its basically a 3s, but bored out from 2.0L to 2.7L. still a squared setup too.

the thing about the BEAMS that has always been very lackluster to me, was the powerband. yes, it has 200hp, but its like a Honda engine - the power is only when you wring out the engine. my wife drove in a few different BEAMS equipped vehicles - the power does not come on until 5000rpm or so.

I have considered that. Just another option to look into. Just not sure on transmission options, plus with the size of the head it limits design for inttake manifolds in the car. I have seen some in various corolla's with short runner intakes and auto trans. Not a fan of auto or short runners lol. Oh the joys of research.