PDA

View Full Version : Hi Guys

Zaluss
06-17-2011, 08:15 AM
I just bought a 1989 Celica GT Liftback, my first car. Since I'm completely new to automotive work, I've been tinkering with different parts of the car. Tomorrow I will start to take apart the dash and replace the heater core. I've determined that since coolant leaks into the passenger compartment and barely any heat comes from vents. I'll post pictures of the work as I take it apart.

Wish me luck!

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

CriScO
06-17-2011, 09:11 AM
Welcome aboard.

manda
06-17-2011, 03:58 PM
weeeeeeeelcome :)

alltracNyx
06-17-2011, 07:02 PM
Have you checked the hoses at the firewall that attach to the heater core? I had an issue when I replaced the heater core on our 6th gen a month ago where the stock spring clamps didn't hold the pressure very well and leaked coolant back into the passenger compartment. New clamps fixed that.

We were replacing the heater core because it was definitely bad - brand new green coolant would start to take on a rust color after just a few months, and the windshield was constantly fogged between 40-60 degree weather, and the vents weren't working to get rid of it.

Either way, a heater core on a 22 year old car is worth replacing. Good luck and let us know if you need help.

Oh, and welcome!

Zaluss
06-17-2011, 11:59 PM
Imhaving issues removing the heater core cover after the dash remopval. Anyone have any picture guides for this? thanks

grimmythereaper
06-18-2011, 12:43 AM
good luck and welcome:)

UtahSleeper
06-18-2011, 04:50 AM
Good luck and you may want to check the big green book (BGB) on the home page. That might give you info to do this. I have only tried a heater core once and ended up having a shop do it cause I was running out of time and had no idea what I was doing lol.

Zaluss
06-18-2011, 08:47 AM
here is where im stuck.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk