PDA

View Full Version : Wheel size

Masani
06-16-2011, 06:22 AM
So, correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard that if your rims are a different size than the stock size your speedo will read incorrectly. Really? How does that work?

KoreanJoey
06-16-2011, 06:45 AM
No, it's if the tire diameter is different.

Masani
06-16-2011, 07:16 AM
Is it very noticeable?

Galcobar
06-16-2011, 08:02 AM
That depends on how noticeably the tire diameter is different.

I suggest reading through the entire tire and wheel tech section here (http://1010tires.com/tech.asp?type=wheels#offset)

Masani
06-17-2011, 06:29 PM
Well, I have an issue with a set I just bought from a junkyard. (Set of 215/45/R17) While moving forward the steering wheel jerks to the left, while in reverse it jerks to the right. Could that be from a warped tire? Bent rim?

Sopaynefull
06-17-2011, 07:01 PM
Yes, it's related to outside diameter of tire size, not the actual wheel. The difference on your Celica is probably pretty minimal because the difference between stock and what you put on is so small. To give you an example, on a truck I had stock tires replaced w/ 35" tires. Big difference, a much different tire, and at highway speed of like 65mph the speedo was off by about 7 mph. It is important to note, however, that the difference in actual speed / speedometer reading is proportional to how fast you are going: At 25mph in a school zone you might only be off by 1 mph, while in the desert on your way to Las Vegas w/ friends doing 120mph it might be off by 4mph. You could definatly have a bent wheel somewhere. When you went to the junkyard, was wheels the only thing you replaced? Did you do brakes or anything different that would cause the wheel to "hang up"? If it's causing the steering wheel to jerk then the issue is most likely w/ the front tires. Take them off and visually inspect them. Little nicks or dents are ok, but something that's ganking the steering wheel like that will probably show up as some visual damage on the wheels. Good luck, and let us know what you find!

Masani
06-18-2011, 12:05 AM
Yeah, figured it out. My driverside front tire is warped, badly. Apparently the last owner had a puncture and repaired it him/herself, then the car sat for two months. It's 155$ for just one of these tires :/ I bought the set for 250$. Thinking I may sell the set and try to buy the stock wheels off a scion tc or 2000+celica.

85gtsblackman
06-19-2011, 05:39 PM
try this site, tires-easy.com

klapa
06-19-2011, 06:11 PM
Yeah, figured it out. My driverside front tire is warped, badly. Apparently the last owner had a puncture and repaired it him/herself, then the car sat for two months. It's 155$ for just one of these tires :/ I bought the set for 250$. Thinking I may sell the set and try to buy the stock wheels off a scion tc or 2000+celica.

Tire is "warped"?

I've had out of round tires - but never "warped" so bad as to cause a gross alignment problem like that.

Are you sure the wheel is OK?

Else it like others said - as long as you select a tire profile such that the outer diamter is nearly the same as stock - the speedo should be OK - if not - the faster you go - the worse the error.