PDA

View Full Version : Alignment and Steering Column

BonzaiCelica
06-10-2011, 10:03 PM
Well I've purchased the lifetime alignment warranty on my 99 Celica at Firestone Auto. I originally did a 4 wheel alignment about 2 months ago and since then I've been back to the shop about 2 more times. Now about a little over month I installed a Helical LSD transmission and from my understanding I always thought alignment shops adjusted the cars alignment by taking out the tires. I'm currently on lowering springs with SPC Camber bolts on all four shocks.

For some reason whenever I seem to go over the slightest pothole or if its with time, my front alignment gets screwed up and cars starts to steer to the right. Basically when I'm on the freeway I can make a right lane change in about 3-4 seconds when I let the steering wheel go. When I was putting all my suspension parts back together I didn't torque all the shocks bolts and camber bolts to specs because I thought the alignment shop would do it while doing alignment.Turns out they don't even remove the wheels when they do alignment. I'm sick of going to firestone every 3-4 weeks to get my front realigned.

Another thing is that whenever i take a sharp right turn my steering wheel will gets stuck about 30 degrees to the right. Why is that??? Could my tie rods that connect to my knuckle be loose?? Also my steering wheel feels a bit shaky and I also have lifetime balancing on the tires. Help!

Galcobar
06-10-2011, 10:38 PM
If you didn't torque your suspension bolts to spec then, perhaps you should torque your suspension bolts to spec now.

Might have an impact on the tendency of your car to get out of alignment if the parts involved aren't loose.

BonzaiCelica
06-11-2011, 02:34 AM
ok I'll go ahead and do that tomorrow morning. I just don't understand how they can align the suspension without loosening the suspension bolts???

Hookecho
06-11-2011, 03:08 AM
Unless you use camber bolts on the knuckle then there is no reason to remove the tires. You have camber plate so adjustments are made at the strut tower.

Adjusting the toe is done by loosening the locking nut in the tie rod ends and turning them. The tires have to stay on for that.

BonzaiCelica
06-11-2011, 04:57 AM
ahh now that could be the reason why my steering feels funny?? maybe they didn't torque that properly and put the pin back in...

KoreanJoey
06-11-2011, 10:49 AM
Check that none of your wheel bearings or your rack has any play.

BonzaiCelica
06-11-2011, 11:25 AM
I just had brand new timken front wheel bearings installed about 600 miles ago. I did undo my steering rack from the subframe when I was doing the transmission swap... I'll check everything out tomorrow.

laurentst88
07-02-2011, 07:50 PM
Whenever you do a wheel alignement on a car, you never ever need to take off the wheels. The car is sitting on an platform, then they take measures of toe/camber/caster while moving the car front to back and measuring the steering radius. But the camber part is what make the car going straight while letting the steering wheel. It is possible that the factory camber spec is not appropriate for a lowered car tough. For the stucking steering wheel you may have the shop have a look on the steering column joint or (may sound ridiculous) the power steering belt tension. Had a similar issue with mine and turned out the p/s pump wasn't even bolted in properly. Wich under heavy load was just disabled...