PDA

View Full Version : Keep Blowing Fuse -- 6th Gen. ST-204

Glinthi
06-06-2011, 08:23 PM
Hello,
First post about my first celica. I'm glad you guys are here. Thanks.

I keep blowing the #6 (10 amp) clock, interior lights, etc. fuse. Also my radio antenna mysteriously stopped working/going up along with my digital clock. (The radio still works though). I checked the driver's side fuse #6 (15 amp; cig. lighter, clock, audio system) and it did not appear to be blown.

A few more tidbits of information. My ABS light is stuck on. And my car/radio alarm (the blinking red light just to the left of the steering wheel) is almost constantly clicking -- even when I'm driving. Finally, the door locks occasionally start freaking out trying to lock/unlock? after I shut the car off. It's like it's possessed. I know I have an electric problem, but I'm not sure where to look first. I'm not very experienced with working on cars, but am willing to try if it's not too difficult. Thanks for any thoughts on this.
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/228014_10150200248237138_783807137_7012153_2136263 _n.jpg

bloodMoney
06-06-2011, 09:18 PM
About the cig lighter, try removing the shift boot surround to get a peek back there. You may be grounding something out.

We actually had to pull the OEM lighter and replace it with a different one to keep from popping the fuse. In my case, it was the lighter itself that was going bad.

alltracNyx
06-06-2011, 09:47 PM
^That was true, but the fuse you were popping was the radio fuse. His radio fuse is not popping, it's the accessory fuse for interior lights, the clock, etc.

Glinthi-It sounds like you are having more than just one electrical problem. What aftermarket parts are installed on your car (i.e. radio, amps, alarm, etc)? I would guess that something wasn't installed properly OR there is something corroded somewhere near a fuse/relay box, or somewhere in your harness.

The easy answer for someone who is not familiar with working on their car, is to start by just taking a look at the wiring in your car (in the locations where the problems are happening) and trying to identify what looks out of place (wires that are exposed, tapped into, corroded, or otherwise not like they would be from the factory). For someone who has a little more knowledge and the tools to test, I would suggest using a multimeter to test the wires/circuits you are having issues with.

Right now, your questions are a bit too broad. You need to take a look at your car to provide details for what you find in the wiring, as well as list any aftermarket electrical items that are installed. Let us know what you find as we have quite a few people on this forum who can troubleshoot electrical problems.

Glinthi
06-06-2011, 09:55 PM
OK Alltracnyx, thanks for your reply. I'll do a little more digging and if I find anything else I'll update.