PDA

View Full Version : Coolant coolant everywhere, and all the boards did shrink, Coolant coolant everywhere but not a drop to drink

Carolina91GT-S
06-06-2011, 08:05 PM
Wife was driving the supra to work this morning and Stock radiator cracked open at the top hose connection, it immediately spewed coolant all over the engine bay, nasty. No warning and i hadn't been in that area at all. She pulled over immediately and I had it AAA'd back to the house. New aluminum radiator, fans, hoses and cool shit now on order but it sets my Celica project back in time and money.

Crap! Crap! double Crap!

Just needed to vent

Maikeru
06-06-2011, 08:27 PM
That sucks. I feel for ya. A while back when my Celica wasn't running, I had just got the parts in. The next day on the way to work, the radiator in my Miata cracked. Had to fix the celica that night.
Water pump and timing belt sucks in the dark. lol.

Murgatroy
06-06-2011, 08:50 PM
Extra points for the Coleridge reference.

alltracNyx
06-06-2011, 09:18 PM
I also know how you feel. We were having overheating problems on the 6th gen. Brand new thermostat on a rebuilt motor. We replaced the radiator with a larger aluminum radiator and new fans. Once we replaced the radiator, the alternator started to go, so we upgraded to one with a larger amp output.

Once the weather got warmer, we learned that our overheating problem was still there, but finally got the hint that it was a heater core problem when new symptoms presented and the windshield was constantly fogged. That all happened in the course of two months and I ended up doing a heater core the week before the Dragon, on top of the brakes and struts that we were going to do. And while driving to the Dragon with the GA train, the throwout bearing started squealing, so we just pulled the motor this weekend to replace the clutch, pressure plate, and throwout bearing.

At this point, the 6th gen has cost us more money than either Alltrac.

/rant

MrWOT
06-06-2011, 10:03 PM
I'll never forget the joy my mkiii brought me.

One day I'm driving and suddenly major coolant leak under the hood, lots of steam. Pull over, pop hood, can't see any leaking hoses.

Then I realize 2 of the hoses on the firewall aren't connected to anything anymore! The heater control valve had EXPLODED. :squint:

Luckily it was winter so I didn't mind the heat being stuck on (bypassed it with a T), but I def wasn't expecting that one :hehe:

T-spoon
06-06-2011, 11:07 PM
Great opportunity to make sure the proper coolant is in there and everything :)

The Captain
06-07-2011, 02:15 AM
That sux.

Not the Rime of the Ancient Mariner....

klapa
06-08-2011, 01:24 AM
Hey man - sorry to hear about that but lucky you have a wife that was cognizant enough to pull over immediately - that averted what could have been a major catastrophe.

Smaay
06-08-2011, 03:27 PM
yeah those Supras are real pieces of junk, you should just sell that car to me right now! :)

Hookecho
06-08-2011, 04:14 PM
Sell it to Joe. That mofo will buy any pos he can get his hands on.