PDA

View Full Version : Rear Stock Open Diff to Torsen Advice...w/ Video Explanation

Legacyofdan
05-31-2011, 12:48 AM
What sort of advise can one give me when swapping out the Open Diff to the Torsen Diff? (in a 165 if you couldn't guess; not that it really matters in this application)

Any Do's and Dont's?

Tips? Tricks?

Common mistakes?

Anything would be great....and most appreciated!

I ask because...
somehow i have done it wrong...and i am assuming that i probably will need to buy smaller thrust washers for it ...but hoping that maybe i could of done something wrong, i fallowed what the BGB said, i labeled everything...

the problem is a small degree of binding(for lack of a better term) when i spin it by hand, every 1 to 1.5 rotations of the ring gear it hits a spot where it is hard to spin and then gets back to normal again until another 1(sometimes 1.5 rotations) of the ring gear. The run out shows to be just fine.

or you can watch the video to better understand...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7n57yZbZh4

alltracman78
06-12-2011, 05:07 PM
Didn't watch your vid, but setting up gears is a PITA, especially the first time.

Did you replace the bearings?
Do you have the correct contact patch on the gears?

Legacyofdan
06-13-2011, 02:45 AM
opps i forgot to post that i figured it out...some how i got the thrust washers mixed up between sides even though i laid them down on a paper towel and then wrote left under the left one and right under the right one....i blame my blonde hair for the failure haha...but yeah thank you for the response. but it just a stupid mistake.

to answer your questions though:
The torsen lsd diff came with new bearings and out races with it.
If i understand your question correctly, yes i did. only cause i do not think you could swap it around and reverse it. again if i am understanding your question correctly.