PDA

View Full Version : Gauge input

4thgenceli
05-27-2011, 09:53 PM
I'm trying NOT to cheap out on my gauges.

Then again, I don't want to buy a greddy just because 'it's greddy'.

I've been looking hard last few days at the Megan products (not the v.2 but the earlier ones). They're known for their great suspensions, and the price for their gauges isn't that bad (MSRP 64bux, selling on ebay for $55).

Can I get some feedback from other swappers? I'm going after the oil pressure & temp, and water temp only for now.

Facime
05-27-2011, 10:42 PM
Prosport, good mix between price and performance. I know lots of guys who run them and are quite happy with them.

4thgenceli
05-27-2011, 10:45 PM
Thanks for that tip. I completely forgot about them..

jaydog82
05-27-2011, 11:23 PM
im running these http://www.twosrus.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=109_110. i dont have the trac up and running yet but i like options that the gauges have.

4thgenceli
05-27-2011, 11:25 PM
Hell I totally forgot i have a prosport gauge already.. think that just made my decision now. I can get all 3 I want for ~120 shipped from prosport too.

:woot:

CollapsedNut
05-28-2011, 02:58 AM
Harbor Freight. $10 each lol

DudeMan
05-28-2011, 03:28 AM
I bought a really cheap boost gauge once.. It would whistle and hiss when i hit boost.

Never again.

CollapsedNut
05-28-2011, 03:35 AM
It was an extra BOV lol

ChrisD
05-28-2011, 06:41 AM
I run Greddy in the 165, and Prosport in the 205. Have been happy with both. I would say that Greddy does make very high quality gauges, however, if price is a factor I wouldn't hesitate on Prosport.

Some people (*cough*luni*cough*) don't like 'em though. :D

Carolina91GT-S
06-03-2011, 06:20 AM
I love my AEM gauges. I hate the price tags.

~Chris

Luni
06-03-2011, 06:30 AM
I had NO good luck with Prosport.

My Boost gauge was NEVER accurate. EVER. I switched out gauge units, same shit. Got a "revised" sending unit. Same shit. I ended up literally throwing it away. They wanted to send me another sending unit, I was fed up. Asked for my money back, they wouldnt do it. I couldnt get no satisfaction. I had an EGT gauge. First thermocouple died shortly after install. Got it replaced under warranty. Second one lasted a bit longer, and it died. Was out of warranty by then. They actually offered to replace it again, but like with the boost gauge, I just said fuck it. I had an oil temp gauge, but after the shit I was in with my boost/egt gauges, I was damned if I would even waste my time hooking that stupid oil pressure gauge up. Same crap in PearlJammzz MR2 he bought. He had Prosport gauges. Actually his boost gauge was fine, but it was the mechanical version (mine was electronic - but not the peak/hold one), but his oil pressure sending unit died. Just crappy electronics IMO. The only reason his boost gauge worked is cause it was mechanical.

I will NEVER recommend prosport gauges. Ive heard good stuff about STRI stuff. I KNOW Greddy makes a good gauge set, but they ARE expensive. So does Defi (prolly the best), but they are expensive too. These days, I find myself leaning more toward Omori. They have 45mm applications, and you can get a triple pod that fits in a DIN housing (so, if you have a double din opening like most of us 90s Toyotas you have your stereo, then your gauges), and their quality is top notch too.

Hipster Lawrence
06-03-2011, 12:10 PM
What is wrong with autometer gauges? Almost every racecar I've ever looked at had them.

Luni
06-03-2011, 10:52 PM
What is wrong with autometer gauges? Almost every racecar I've ever looked at had them.

Don't like the way they look is my only beef with them.

CriScO
06-03-2011, 11:11 PM
Don't like the way they look is my only beef with them.
Really? They've got a shitload of different styles. Some of them are pretty sweet. The original line is pretty bland, but there's some cool shit now. The better ones can get fairly pricey though.