PDA

View Full Version : Rear brake conversion.

CutlassS454
05-24-2011, 12:54 AM
I have a 2000 GT and I would like to change my drum brakes to rotors the problem I need to know what parts I need to change and how much. I think I can pick up most of the hardware from a junk yard. I also need to know how much it will run. If any one has done it I would like to know how hard it is.

Galcobar
05-24-2011, 08:21 AM
If the seventh-gen are like most other Celicas, your best bet is to find a disc-equipped Celica of the same generation and pull:
-rotors
-backing plate with e-brake hardware
-caliper
-caliper bracket
-soft brake line
-emergency brake cables

As to the proportioning valve and ABS, you'd have to check with someone more familiar with seventh-gens. It's common for fifth- and sixth-gen conversions to skip changing the proportioning valve.

Smaay
05-24-2011, 03:27 PM
^^^ you nailed it on the head! depending if you can find a GT-S in the junkyard.

bzdweezy
05-25-2011, 05:59 AM
Yup its a lot cheaper to find the parts from a donor car, but you can get the parts from toyota but why would you want to spend that much. I am planning on doing this conversion over summer, if i do i'll try to do a write up.

Smaay
05-25-2011, 05:46 PM
IMO the mod is not worth the $$$$ most brake power is in the front and GT and GT-S have identicle front brakes. i say save your money for a better performance mod.

bzdweezy
05-25-2011, 06:28 PM
Its pretty much all for aesthetics when I swap mine over, because i'm going to be getting new wheels, and I'm tired of people asking me if I really have drums in the rear when i goto local meets haha.
And the OP has a 2000 which I believe has smaller front brakes than the gts

bzdweezy
06-10-2011, 05:47 PM
I just ordered my parts for the conversion!! :mj: