PDA

View Full Version : Solid hot side pipes

4thgenceli
05-16-2011, 10:55 PM
I am considering taking the three or four pipes I am using for my hot side to a welder and having them connected. After that I would wrap the section thats uber close to the cat heat shield.
With the t-bolts and couplers the rub. Without they barely clear. Any worries about having solid hot side? Cold will still be in four pieces.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Facime
05-16-2011, 11:44 PM
Sorry, Im unfamiliar with your setup, are you running a front mount? The biggest issue to worry about is how much movement there is between the motor and body. If you have good mounts there shouldnt be much torque rotation of the motor, but there will always be some. Thin walled aluminum pipe typically used for front mount piping is prone to cracking when repeatedly stressed. Silicone couplers make decent stress relievers.

I would see if there is one place in your set up that allows for a straight pull in the direction of the rotation of the engine and put a hump coupler there, then hard weld the rest of the system. As long as you have at least one avenue of stress relief the rest should be fine.

4thgenceli
05-16-2011, 11:49 PM
It's a st162 with a gen4 3sgte, fmic setup, speed source poly inserts for the front & rear.

There will be stress relief, there'll be a silicone coupler on the pipe -> turbine housing and another to the intercooler. I may just use a small 90* as well with a coupler so the hot side is two pipes. I don't think I'll have to worry much about engine rotation this way.

Facime
05-17-2011, 12:45 AM
Other than stress relief I can think of no good reason not to weld up your hot side pipes, then.

ChrisD
05-17-2011, 03:17 AM
Should be fine.

Shadowlife25
05-18-2011, 06:32 AM
I would also recommend coating them as opposed to wrapping if the funds are available. Wrapping tends to promote rust. Though in your climate this may not be much if any of an issue.

Mafix
05-19-2011, 03:05 AM
mine are solid, but i use "hump" couplers on the intercooler to allow flex

4thgenceli
05-23-2011, 02:02 AM
Thinking that's what I'll be doing Mafix.

I have the silicone coupler from the turbo to the pipe, then one more on the pipe -> intercooler. I may just split it 1 more time underneath somewhere for a coupler for stress relief but I don't think that would be necessary honestly.

Here's the problem I think I may run into. The silicon coupler (clearly) is up against the radiator in the picture. I'm not rubbing anywhere else but it's cutting it damn close. I'd like to wrap the pipes to protect from any rattling. Anyway...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/celiman89/100MEDIA_IMAG0133.jpg

I can't clock the turbo anymore due to it's basically right up against the hardline for the slave cylinder. If I swap the 45* for a 90* I would have the clearance, however exhaust gases would basically be hitting a brick wall coming out of the turbo.

Facime
05-23-2011, 03:27 AM
Lots of people use 90 bends right off the turbo. Its not really that big of a deal imho.

The hard line on the clutch slave should be bendable or you could go to a stainless braid line. Maybe that would give you more clock room?

rizin
05-23-2011, 03:32 AM
Just to throw it out there If you could use a 90* fitting and then bend a new hard line that could help with the turbo angle some. When I clocked my turbo I seen that I would need a odd angled silicone coupler. I talked to EVCO house of hose and they said they could make any angle of silicone hose I needed.

Mafix
05-23-2011, 03:42 AM
90s are fine. so is bending the hell out of the glorified hardline. also, moving your hot pipe to come up the other side of the crossmember will help. it's kind of a PITA to do but that's how i have mine. for the moment anyways.
one more thing. be sure and use secure clamps and make sure you have rolled edges or weld beads on your charge pipes. i used to have mine blow apart and it was rather frustrating.

4thgenceli
05-23-2011, 04:10 AM
Think I'll order a 90* bend then. The charge pipe is getting welded this week to form a solid unit. There'll still be the silicon on the turbo & on the intercooler that should allow for any flex.

The cold side I may also have welded just for clean looks, but if not I could always bead the edges and call it a day.

Honestly I think I''ll make it work how it is. It was a PITA to clock the turbo, and I like having the pipes coming up that side of the crossmember how they are already.