PDA

View Full Version : fuel pump relay

scott.jackson1209
05-15-2011, 04:33 AM
any body know where the fuel pump relay is on an 88 gt? i have looked everywhere in the car and online. one diagram i found said mounted on the center of the firewall behind the engine....all i found there was the ignition control module (think thats what its called.) any help would be nice. not sure how to even tell if there is power to the fuel pump....

4thgenceli
05-15-2011, 05:17 AM
What's the car doing (or not) that you think it is having relay issues?

Easy way is hook a test light to the fuel pump plug and turn the key to 'on'.

scott.jackson1209
05-16-2011, 04:51 AM
not hearing the fuel pump come on... i bridged connectors fp and +b today and heard it come on w/ the key in the on position but where does that leave the issue? new to the fuel pump stuff. really need to get this car running....

Luni
05-16-2011, 05:06 AM
Tim, the pump doenst run when you just turn the key to on. It only runs if you bridge FP and B+. So, if you have to bridge B+ and FP it means your relay isnt kickin in. Im not sure where the relay is on a 4th gen, but on a 5th gen its in a fuse box up by the radiator. Try and start the car with the terminals jumped. See what happens.

4thgenceli
05-16-2011, 05:37 AM
SO.....

When I turn my key to 'ON' I get B+ at the fuel pump connection.

Chances are though because I don't have that block in the engine bay and have that 215/162 harness.

:nevermind:

klapa
05-30-2011, 07:08 PM
Don't know much about 4th gens - but at least for my 5th gens I have been through this.

The fuel pump relay for a 5th gen IS in the relay box up near the passenger side headlight - and such relay is ONLY installed in my ST185 - ST184 and AT184 DO NOT have this relay installed - the relay socket is there in the fuse box but the relay itself is not installed.

Thus - if 4th gen is like 5th gen - then for anything but an Alltrac/GT4 - the relay is not there, and should not be needed.

The relay only serves to switch between full B+ or B+ through a resistor - as far as I understand it from ChrisD you really don't need it - you can just wire it to run on B+ all the time.

I just acquired a 4th gen engine and have the "official" Toyota wiring diagram for an '87. Looking at that - it seems to me that for a 4th gen there is NO fuel pump relay for anything but an original 3SGTE equipped car - just the circuit opening relay - and no resistor either.