PDA

View Full Version : High Pressure PS Hose Alternatives

DudeMan
05-13-2011, 11:26 PM
This seems to be a common problem, the high pressure power steering line leaking.

I've heard you can get one for a 6th gen from Autozone for around $40 that will work, it also has a lifetime guarantee. Problem is there is no Autozone in Canada.

So what are our alternatives? I'm not talking specifically in Canada,but in general.

Has anyone tried one from NAPA? An online retailer?

Mine started to leak shortly before I tore the car down and my plan was to take it somewhere and get it repaired. But now I'm wondering if buying a new one would be better..

It would be nice to come up with a list of all the different retailers and their prices. I'll call my local NAPA and see what 1stToyota charges right now.

Nitro_Alltrac
05-14-2011, 12:30 AM
The one on mine had to be replaced. I think they used one from NAPA. It's got 40K or so on it with no problems. I don't remember it being ridiculously expensive or anything.

klapa
05-14-2011, 01:10 AM
The NAPA here will make any hose to order - you just bring your old one in and they either make a duplicate with all new fittings or use the fittings from your old hose to make a new one if the fittings are custom to the car.

rizin
05-14-2011, 06:28 AM
Or you can do like me with my a/c lines when I wanted a/c and go to a shop that will build a new rubber line and weld your original fittings to the new hose for cheap.

DudeMan
05-14-2011, 06:14 PM
See that's what I was planning to do, take my old hose to a specialty shop that could repair it and beef it up.

NAPA wants just under $100, 1stToyota charges just under $150 and there's a gentleman willing to purchase one from Autozone and ship it to me for $40+shipping.

I think I'll look into how much it will to cost to have it repaired and then go from there.

klapa
05-14-2011, 06:46 PM
See that's what I was planning to do, take my old hose to a specialty shop that could repair it and beef it up.

NAPA wants just under $100, 1stToyota charges just under $150 and there's a gentleman willing to purchase one from Autozone and ship it to me for $40+shipping.

I think I'll look into how much it will to cost to have it repaired and then go from there.

I'm surprised the cost is so much more from NAPA than Autozone - as this has not been my own experience.

I'll check Autozone here - as that disparity in pricing seems to me to be a little too good to be true.

This a 5th GEN PS high pressure side hose, yes?

4thgenceli
05-14-2011, 06:56 PM
Autozone and CSK have it priced for just under $40.

klapa
05-14-2011, 06:57 PM
Checked Autozone to my zip - price is $34.99 for pressure side PS hose for '92 Celica 2.2L (I would think 3SGTE would be the same).

Checked NAPA for the same part - and it is the same price - $34.99. I will re-do the check for 3SGTE.

Just did that - different P/N for 3SGTE car - price from NAPA is $38.49.

Will check Autozone for 3SGTE:

Comes up with the SAME thing - same P/N and price - $34.99.

I don't see much difference i price - though NAPA has a different P/N for 3SGTE vs. 5SFE while Autozone does not - either way it is about $40.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/1991-Toyota-Celica-All-Trac/Power-Steering-Pressure-Line-Hose/_/N-jaul1Z8oz1z?filterByKeyWord=power+steering&fromString=search

DudeMan
05-15-2011, 03:07 AM
Must be cause I'm in Canada..

I would check how much Autozone sells them for up here, but like I said, they don't.

Honestly I think its the same thing as the dealerships here, we pay way more. I went to a local dealership for 20 of those little black interior screws and they wanted over $60. I came home and entered the exact same part number into 1stToyota's site and the total came to about $3.00..

So I can easily see the price difference being that big between an American and Canadian NAPA. Its ridiculous really.

ChrisD
05-15-2011, 03:35 AM
Yeah, we just get screwed. You could always build your own with some SS braided stuff I do imagine.

DudeMan
05-15-2011, 04:12 AM
I'll look into having a shop make me a new one or repair the old next week.. If it turns out to be too expensive I'll just get someone in the States to grab me one from Autozone and ship it here.

Has anyone had problems with the pump itself leaking? I could probably reseal it for cheap before I put it back in, but is it worth it?

I just don't want any surprises when I start it up for the first time.. Or as few as possible.

rizin
05-15-2011, 08:34 AM
I will have to check my tots but I think I have some 5s power steering lines. But I might of just thrown them away if they will work for you.

klapa
05-17-2011, 04:41 AM
I'll look into having a shop make me a new one or repair the old next week.. If it turns out to be too expensive I'll just get someone in the States to grab me one from Autozone and ship it here.

Has anyone had problems with the pump itself leaking? I could probably reseal it for cheap before I put it back in, but is it worth it?

I just don't want any surprises when I start it up for the first time.. Or as few as possible.

I would be more than willing to do that for you - buy one here and ship it to you - but would warn you....

I have more han a little experience in this regard because the company that I worked for here in RTP, NC - closely affiliated with Nortel - was bought by a Quebec company in 2001 - and I worked for this Canadian company until 2007 when they went belly-up.

So even though I was an engineer I ended up getting "roped in" to be the "shipping guy" for the hardware group for whatever reason - I guess nobody else knew how to deal with it. You've got to know about the "harmonized code" for export - and how to prepare a "Pro Forma" invoice for customs purposes. I still do that - on occasion - but now for shipments to China - who are also pretty diligent.

I can tell you something about Canadian's that you might not even know yourself - a Canadian customs officer can smell potential tax revenue from a mile away! They are "nit-pickers" to the nTh degree and you better get up pretty early in the morning if you want to slip something past them - and that is what you are trying to do if you have somebody stateside buy new parts and send them to you.

It would actually be all on the "up and up" if it was a "gift" - that is - no money changes hands. Else - it is "commerce" and properly subject to tax.

Also - I have sent items as "manufacturing equipment - not for resale" - and gotten away with it.

Either way the best idea would be to take that new item out of the packaging and maybe wrap it in a greasy rag and label it as "used parts".

Why not just take a vacation to the USA and drive back with a trunk full of parts? I guess the old "customs man" will be right there on the border, eh?

I always remember that old Arlo Guthrie song -

"Coming into Los Angeles
Bringing in a couple of keys
don't touch my bag, if you please
Mr. Customs Man"