PDA

View Full Version : Hood Latch - Think Mine Broke - Need Pic

Yamasaki
05-12-2011, 03:40 AM
Like the title says.

I cannot close my hood. It shuts, and the safety latch engages, but it will not close entirely. Like when you pop the hood with the hood release but do not unlock it / open it with the little handle.

I don't want to close the hood because it appears that my hood latch cable has broken.... There is part of what appears to be a broken cable end attached to the right side of the assembly.

Its always one thing after the other I tell ya.

Anyway, can someone snap a picture of their working hood latch for me?

I need to see what the latch looks like in the fully unlocked/opened position and I need a good idea of where the cable attaches.

I appreciate the help or any tips that can be given when faced with this scenario.

lalojamesliz
05-12-2011, 08:08 AM
You never see how dirty something is until you take a picture lol
http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae12/lalojamesliz/IMAG0158.jpg
http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae12/lalojamesliz/IMAG0161.jpg
Good luck

Yamasaki
05-12-2011, 05:45 PM
You never see how dirty something is until you take a picture lol

Good luck

lolojamesliz

Thanks very much. Appreciate you going out of your way to do this for me. Can you give me a general idea of where the hood latch release cable connects? After that I will be golden.

Thanks again!

MCcelica
05-12-2011, 07:30 PM
In the first picture, that black cable that goes up and to the right (on the pic looks like its between the bolt on the latch assembly and the outside of the radiator fan housing) is the cable you're looking for. It attaches on the back side of where it looks like its going in that pic.

93celicaconv
05-13-2011, 03:38 AM
And, in that picture (great picture, by the way), the hood won't close on that latch either. The pawl is closed in the vertical slot that the hood lock loop goes through. When the hood is open, that pawl should be backed off to allow that vertical slot to be open. Sometimes, like a door, that pawl gets into the wrong position, so one has to use a screwdriver or similar to open that pawl up when the hood release (under the dash) is pulled as if to open the hood.

Yamasaki
05-13-2011, 07:04 PM
Well I took a look at the hood latch today before work.

Turns out that the smaller of the two springs in the hood latch assembly snapped (You can see it in the above photo, just to the left of the larger spring and somewhat concealed by it.
This is the spring that runs from the hood release cable into the actual hood latch, not the lager spring which I believe is part of the safety latch mechanism.

So I pulled the remains out using a set of needle nose pliers and ran down to Home Depot on my way into work and found a similar size spring to replace it. I am going to have to cut to shorten it but hopefully it will do the trick.

At least the cable itself is not snapped, which I was worred about. In my Celica, the cable runs underneath the radiator support and into the latch and could not easilty be seen my any of the photos.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3270/5716123005_3a5984f415.jpg

MCcelica
05-14-2011, 04:35 AM
Thanks for posting up the solution you found;. :)