PDA

View Full Version : 5th gen a/c fan

lalojamesliz
05-12-2011, 03:15 AM
Anyone here know how many amps it draws? I have it on my heat exchanger but it seems like it uses a lot of power. I was thinking of getting a aftermarket fan if it would be quieter and draw less power but I need to find one first

93celicaconv
05-12-2011, 01:35 PM
I don't know how many amps that particular fan draws, but it can be operated at multiple speeds (just like the fan used in your HVAC system) by adding a resistor into the circuit. The resistor lowers the voltage the fan sees, so it slows it down, and a slower moving fan doesn't move as much air, so it draws less current. Just a thought here.

lalojamesliz
05-13-2011, 01:10 AM
Right now it has a 20a fuse on the positive power wire because it kept blowing anything smaller than that. One of my multimeters has a 15a max unfused option but I don't want to mess up that multimeter by overloading it. I was thinking about just running a switch by my steering colum to turn the relay on and off so its not on all the time. I know it doesn't need it on most of the time I'm driving or on the hwy/fwy

93celicaconv
05-13-2011, 03:27 AM
20A on an A/C fan (mounted on the A/C condenser coil) running full speed, as far as fuse protection is concerned, sounds about right. I'm not home to access my shop manual, but the radiator fan (mounted on the radiator) I know is 2 speed, and the wiring diagram would show what one line of the wiring goes though (a resistor) to drop the fan speed down. If I can identify that, I would just go out to the salvage yard, pick up the radiator fan resistor to operate at the lower speed, and put that in series with your wiring to your setup. The fan will run slower, but I think you will get the same effect if you look for a different fan (that is smaller and moves less air).