PDA

View Full Version : How much to offer...

terryd
05-09-2011, 08:51 PM
......for 5th gen Celica? Came across someone "parting out" their 5th gen and wants to "get as much money as they can from the parts only".

Since my 93 'vert donor car chassis (being used to refurb my 91 'vert) is NOT rebuildable, I'm thinking about buying another 5th gen "parts car" and build it w/ the parts from my 93 'vert donor car. I already have 5sfe/manual tranny, axles from my 93 'vert donor car.

Going by to look at it after work today. Will take pics.

What would YOU offer a private party who is "trying to get as much money as I can" for a car which is of no use to him and just sitting in his backyard?

CollapsedNut
05-09-2011, 09:46 PM
If its in damn clean shape, and I mean damn clean, $800

The Captain
05-10-2011, 12:40 AM
$100

Murgatroy
05-10-2011, 01:06 AM
Scrap value. $250.

T-spoon
05-10-2011, 01:20 AM
Your first born and a year's supply of Subways $5 footlong coupons.

Or $250.

klapa
05-10-2011, 01:37 AM
I got my '93 GTS "parts car" for $425 - and while not "damn clean" this car is in pretty good shape.

Not even a hint of rust - very original and complete - right down to the hood insulation still being intact. System 10 door panels in near perfect shape - all fender plastics and trim pieces - rear hatch plastics and the System-10 mid ranges on the shock towers.

This car started out at $1200 - advertised on CG with "rod knock".

Through a series of emails I got the guy down to $750 and then I went and looked at it - the body was straight except for a reparable dent in the passenger rear quarter - but I turned the guy down because of the rear quarter damage, and the fact that I would need to pay to have it towed to my place.

Much later the guy got back in touch with me - this time I offered $350 and settled on $450 - towed to my house. Later I managed to shave another $25 off the price due to the fact that it did not have a spare tire! So $425 was the final price I paid - with a clean title - delivered to my doorstep.

Anyway - this is a wide body - with full System-10 and all body panels in good shape except the rear quarter damage. I was worth it to me.

It pays to "wait it out" - if the car is not a "runner" then it is a big PITA for them to get rid of it - if they don't want it. Your "find" sounds like it is not even a "roller" - which drastically reduces the value even further.

$100 sounds like a good first offer to me - and I wouldn't go much higher, considering you will need to have it towed - maybe even need a tilt bed to have it hauled to your place.

terryd
05-11-2011, 06:34 PM
Boom-shaka-laka!!! :)

Scored a white 93 Celica GT coupe blown 5sfe w/ auto tranny for $250! He wouldn't go for $100 but he wanted $350-$400 so I think $250 is pretty good!

He had already started parting out so the front wheel hubs, the front corners, front plastic moulding and fogs were already gone. No System 10 on it - looks all original w/ the cubbies on the doors? Was Sys10 standard on ALL 93 GTs and higher?

Will install (convert) to 5sfe engine w/ manual tranny (using Sticky - Thx Hookecho) using the pieces/parts from my 93 'vert donor to get it road-worthy. There are NO 5th gens at any PAPs w/out having to drive 3-4 hours! I'm stoked to find this one!

Now I gotta teach the wife how to drive a stick.

Woot!

Some pics of interior - more to come.

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae323/91celicagt/93_wht_blue_int.jpg

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae323/91celicagt/93_wht_blue_int2.jpg

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae323/91celicagt/93_gts_whls.jpg

Car_Barn_Bandit
05-11-2011, 07:08 PM
Score!

CollapsedNut
05-11-2011, 07:32 PM
I guess I still hold too much value in celicas lol

The Captain
05-11-2011, 08:55 PM
WWin!

Hookecho
05-11-2011, 09:14 PM
Shweet!

What kind of shape is the body in?

terryd
05-12-2011, 02:02 AM
Well crap. Counting chickens before they hatch.

Made the dude an offer today based on what I saw on Monday - looked at the car again after work today and the trunk lid / spoiler are missing! Dude sold them to someone else and didnt event put a tarp over it. It rained overnight and now the trunk/carpet is soaking wet, etc. He tells me, "I didnt know if you saw the trunk lid/spoiler on the car when you came on Monday...blah, blah, blah!"

Offered lower price due to missing parts -- he's "thinking" about it.

It's still pending but I'm not holding my breath he will go with it - I really didn't need the car anyway but seemed like a good deal.