PDA

View Full Version : How many Alltrac's are left?

Tecker184
05-05-2011, 02:00 AM
I have been thinking alot lately whether or not to wait to get an Alltrac. I have seen alot of very nice Alltrac's for sale lately for cheap. I want to buy one but i don't have a garage to keep it in until i can devote time and money. So it makes me wonder if i wait will there be any nice ones left. So guess the real question im asking out of the 1,700 ish 5th gens made after 20 some odd years, how many are left? How many are wrecked and or rusted beyond repair?

ChrisD
05-05-2011, 05:42 AM
At this point, the ones that are good will probably stay good, and the ones that are bad won't likely change much in the near term. Unless they are owned by an enthusiast, but even then, those tend to be long term projects.

Best bet is to wait for the 'right' one.

Car_Barn_Bandit
05-05-2011, 06:35 AM
Still waiting...

bloodMoney
05-05-2011, 02:20 PM
I'm on the fence about what we are going to do with ours.... Considering I'm going to have to replace the rockers, pass. side floorboard, quarters and A-pillars, I seriously don't know about whether to keep it and chop up my parts car to make patch panels, or just strip the alltrac down and wait for a good one.

Siyx
05-05-2011, 05:50 PM
I got one!, I got one! :D and she's still kicking like mad (no rust either)

boo_guy
05-06-2011, 12:50 AM
Mine doesnt either.. but then ive only driven it once and havent seen much of the underside yet :P

Tecker184
05-06-2011, 03:20 AM
I wonder if there is a way to find out just how many are left. Its gotta be less than 500

celicatuner92
05-06-2011, 04:06 AM
i wish there was it would deffinatly make me put more time into my rusted one and spend the money to keep the other cancer free even though i plan to do it anyways

boo_guy
05-06-2011, 06:19 AM
Guy on alltrac.net just tossed his up for partout, underside is apparently pretty cancered.

So 499 left :P

187flatliner
05-06-2011, 06:48 AM
its weird, when you dont expect it alot of newer alltracs keep popping up.....its like since their getting older alot of non enthusiast want to dump them.

klapa
05-06-2011, 07:59 AM
Well for me - I am glad I got one - but I think I overpaid for it by maybe $600 or so.

I had this idea that they were nearly impossible to get - but it just "depends". I could've bought one later for about $600 more that was in better shape (I guess).

Anyway - I have a functioning AWD Celica Turbo for $2400 - I bought it so as Benjamin Franklin would say "in for a penny - in for a pound". This car is "ugly" - but has a strong engine - and I love to drive it. I want to get the running gear in shape so I can trust the handling and get the electrical connections straight such that I can trust driving it more than a mile from my house.

Mine is of the type that it has some rust on the rear quarters, a little on the floors, but not big "rot" on the rockers - so I will make it great mechanically but not spend so much on aesthetics.

I would love to have one of those pretty cars but I ain't got the money - I will settle for a performance car I can DRIVE. There is an old country expression here in the south that "you cannot polish a turd". Yet you sure as hell can use a "well prepared turd" to punish the unwary challenger on the road!

I'm not there yet - but I can feel the difference in the AWD.

BTW - I think there are allot more left than you know.

The Captain
05-06-2011, 01:38 PM
...and only one GT4RC in the US...:icon23:

Car_Barn_Bandit
05-06-2011, 04:10 PM
I saw an AWD Previa the other day. Badged, "Alltrac".

CarolinaJr.
05-06-2011, 05:11 PM
I'm going to get a GT4RC one day.

bloodMoney
05-06-2011, 05:51 PM
I saw an AWD Previa the other day. Badged, "Alltrac".

I want to rock a 3s powered Previa alltrac one day.... That or a 3s Camry alltrac wagon :)

Siyx
05-06-2011, 06:16 PM
A buddy of mine has 3 Carib wagons. (Corolla Wagon RHD)

klapa
05-06-2011, 06:17 PM
I wonder - how many "true" Alltrac were made to start with - that is - the North American version of the GT-4.

It seems Toyota made MANY more GT4 than Alltrac.

METDeath
05-06-2011, 06:38 PM
The Previa is a SC V6, iirc.

Murgatroy
05-06-2011, 07:16 PM
The Previa is a SC V6, iirc.

SC 4 cylinder. That is why it was supercharged, cause it was underpowered for American tastes.

METDeath
05-06-2011, 10:09 PM
SC 4 cylinder. That is why it was supercharged, cause it was underpowered for American tastes.

Right, I forgot about that bit... anyone know the engine used?

Murgatroy
05-06-2011, 10:14 PM
2TZ-FZE

jdm_celica_gts
05-06-2011, 10:53 PM
I wish i found an alltrac for sale. I have been looking for one for about a year and a half and i have found nothing. except for one in canada 4k with 86k miles rhd but way to far to drive for a car, plus i dont know the laws for importing a car to the us

klapa
05-06-2011, 11:23 PM
I wish i found an alltrac for sale. I have been looking for one for about a year and a half and i have found nothing. except for one in canada 4k with 86k miles rhd but way to far to drive for a car, plus i dont know the laws for importing a car to the us

Try PM'ing NightFire here - maybe he still wants to sell his. I still occasionally kick myself for not buying it when I had the chance - but - too many personal problems there.

If you want a really PREEMO Alltrac - and have the $9K to pony up - alltracman78 has one for sale with less than 100k miles and NO RUST - just check the F/S section here. It probably worth every penny - not only as a ride - but also as an investment if you have a place to keep it rust free.

jdm_celica_gts
05-07-2011, 02:48 AM
Could probably come up with that money, but i kinda want a project car, something with little stuff wrong so i can build it the way i want, just so its truely mine haha

T-spoon
05-07-2011, 02:58 AM
Could probably come up with that money, but i kinda want a project car, something with little stuff wrong so i can build it the way i want, just so its truely mine haha

Every alltrac is a project car. Some are just in different stages.

bloodMoney
05-07-2011, 03:24 AM

QFT

ChrisD
05-07-2011, 03:52 AM
Alltrac is US only, not North America. ;)

There are significantly more JDM GT4's here than there are Canadian cars. Probably on a 25:1 ratio.

bloodMoney
05-07-2011, 04:09 AM
Well aren't you special???????

I hate you. :p

Cavanagh
05-07-2011, 09:19 AM
I would love a 185, But I hate knowing how many hands it's been through(As well as beatings unfortunately). If you find a CLEAN 185, buy it ASAP, they are already damn near impossible to find even if you have cash in hand.
Back on topic to OP, No clue, I guess 1000 or so considering part outs, being totaled, and/or junked at a scrapyard (hopefully not :( ). NO one will ever have a "Real" or "close" number, since no one at this point really knows.

klapa
05-07-2011, 04:48 PM
If you find a CLEAN 185, buy it ASAP, they are already damn near impossible to find even if you have cash in hand.

I totally agree - just from the limited pics I saw alltracman78 car might be the cleanest stock American 185 that exists on the planet - if I had the money (and the parking lol) - I would jump on it. (though now the price will probably go up!). I could buy that car and then sell you mine - a true project of magnitude.

I would also agree with T-Spoon - any 20+ YO car will be a project - regardless of the initial condition - especially an Alltrac.

Yep - I'm jealous of those darn Canadian's too! They got all the best cars for NA market.

Tecker184
05-08-2011, 03:46 AM
There all projects no doubt. I want something as close to rust free as possible. Maybe i will find some old guy thats had one sitting in his garage for years and pick it up. Alltracman78 lives a few hours from me when im ready to buy one his will most likle be the one i buy.

Car_Barn_Bandit
05-08-2011, 03:50 AM
Buy?

What happened to good old fashioned grand theft auto?

T-spoon
05-08-2011, 04:10 AM
Buy?

What happened to good old fashioned grand theft auto?

Somehow I think Jeremy would become very.... difficult to deal with if you tried to steal his alltrac. You think he's bad when you ask him an idiotic question...? :hehe:

The Captain
05-08-2011, 05:32 AM
Why doesn't anybody want Princess?

Murgatroy
05-08-2011, 05:37 AM
I wouldn't assume that no one wants her.

Just that we aren't willing to discuss our nefarious plans in public.

Car_Barn_Bandit
05-08-2011, 05:46 AM
Why doesn't anybody want Princess?

We know what you do with her in private. We are too horrified to speak of it.

The Captain
05-08-2011, 04:42 PM
We know what you do with her in private. We are too horrified to speak of it.
We're in a committed long term relationship.

pingpong21
05-09-2011, 04:09 AM

+1 from the guy that just bought your all trac t spoon lol

T-spoon
05-09-2011, 05:06 AM
Heheh. Yeah

DudeMan
05-09-2011, 12:49 PM
Alltrac is US only, not North America. ;)

There are significantly more JDM GT4's here than there are Canadian cars. Probably on a 25:1 ratio.

I've noticed this too.

I've also noticed most of the original Canadian models are either in great shape and going for over 10,000 or in really poor condition and still overpriced.

Siyx
05-09-2011, 10:32 PM
I just saw another beautiful RHD ST205 (black) while driving out of Waterloo the other day. Looked spotless. As far as I know there are only 2 ST205's in K-W area, the black one and my friends white one. I'm the only ST185 that I have seen in the area.

cms-gt4
05-10-2011, 07:25 PM
...and only one GT4RC in the US...:icon23:

Actually there are at least two that were imported from Japan. One member posts on here though I can not spell his username from memory, and Chris H. owned one or two. He only posts on the 350z forums these days.

Terracar
05-10-2011, 08:13 PM
I have 2 alltracs in my driveway. 1 ST185 and 1 ST165 - the ST165 is too far gone to be saved (anyone want rust?), but I fooked up and am now stuck with the shell since I can't get the title. Oh well, I suppose for a $100 shell, what do you expect? Well technically much more thanks to trailer and gas, but I still maintain that LegoDan is 50% owner LOL.

-Terracar

Physlis
05-11-2011, 12:29 AM
I've owned 2 all-tracs, one in my driveway being restored and the other while I was in Italy. I'm not sure if it was a North American AT or not but I kinda feel bad b/c I found out that it was "salvaged" shortly after I moved back stateside and had to leave it there.

darthripley
05-11-2011, 11:08 PM
I would love a 185, But I hate knowing how many hands it's been through(As well as beatings unfortunately). If you find a CLEAN 185, buy it ASAP, they are already damn near impossible to find even if you have cash in hand.

That's very true. I looked for almost 2 yrs to find "the" Alltrac.
Bought it from the original owner in Cali & drove it back home to Tx - nice thing is no rust whatsoever & it will stay that way. :)
Even in good condition body-wise, it's been a project & will continue to be one for a few more years I'm sure.

When you buy one you just have to be prepared to spend cash on lots of little annoying problems that add up quickly.
Just start with a good body, i.e. no rust cancer, a decent motor & the rest can be fixed/modded over time.

As much of a pain as these cars want to be sometimes, I can't see myself ever selling our Vadar.
The reward of driving the car when everything is good with it outweighs the dent in the pocketbook & the grief working on it.

celicatuner92
05-12-2011, 02:54 AM
I'm just curious did anyone else drive around to local car lots that did the cash for clunckers thing to make sure no alltrac was going to be wasted? I did but luckily I did not find any as I would have committed grand theft auto if they refused to sell it to me.