PDA

View Full Version : Replaced all 4 Trailing arms, Toe Maxed but still out..Help..

Ads28
05-02-2011, 02:09 PM
Over the weekend I went n replaced the 4 Trailing arms (lateral control arms, which ever you want to call them )
on my 90 GTS, with OEM ones straight from 1sttoyota(threw a private seller).Currently I'm running H&R springs KYB GR-2's all way around..

Removal was a major Pain in the ass, installed was fairly straight forward..But when the mechanic went to align it, He maxed out all the settings but the Toe in the rear is still out by a 1/4in on each side :no:.. Which is noo good and will eat threew my brand new tires which I planned on installin Tomorro .

Now the only thing I can find aftermarket are camber bolts ( on summit ) but that wont help my toe.

Any suggestions ?
Thanks

Physlis
05-02-2011, 08:51 PM
Call me crazy but aren't all 4 control arms solid pieces on 5th gens, I know mine are. If you got the correct ones there shouldn't be any sort of adjustment in the rear, you may have gotten 6th gen arms if they're adjustable.

Hiko
05-02-2011, 09:26 PM
Only thing I can think of is that there are two different sizes between the years. The 90-91 are shorter than the 92-93 arms. Maybe you got the longer ones and put them in the front spots causing toe-out? :dunno:
Good luck man!

Galcobar
05-02-2011, 10:21 PM
The suspension arms -- the correct term according to Toyota -- have one point of adjustability. The No. 2 arms (the rear of each L/R pair) have an eccentric cam at the point where they bolt into the suspension member (the brace under the chassis). Toe is adjusted by turning the cam on fifth-gens, while on sixth-gens the actual arm is lengthened via a sort of locking nut adjuster.

Hiko's suggestion is the only one I can think of as a possibility, wrong parts. Though I'd add the ST185 suspension arms as a possible wrong part, since they were very similar but not identical. And that's assuming you did receive Celica parts, since suspension arms were a common design for Toyotas of the era and the Camry ones in particular are hard to distinguish.

Double-check the parts labels on the bags, and if you still have them around, measure your old versus new arms.

Ads28
05-02-2011, 11:37 PM
Thanks for the responses guys :), Ill def double check part numbers when I get back to the shop tomorro ....
On the plus side, atleast replaceing the arms got rid of the nasty clunk in my rear end, which is wat I was hoping for :)

Ads28
05-03-2011, 12:18 AM
Well Thanks guys, did some searchin and found pics from when I bought them, and Hiko nailed it right on the head..Unfortunetly..Turns out I had the correct front arms part # 4871020100 and the rears turned out to be for a 92-93 :bash: part # 4873020100 when the Correct ones I need are # 48730-20070 And another bad thing, these were bought through a private seller(brand new ) last year and I just got around to installing them now...So buyer beware my fault:bricks:, Guess I should have done my homework in the first place and double checked part numbers way back when:stupid:... Soooo looks like Ill be shellin out 300$ to get the correct arms

Anyone interested in buyin some Rear arms for a 92-93 haha:toung:

Galcobar
05-03-2011, 04:37 AM
I'm sorry, but you've done it twice now and I'm nitpicky.

Through -- as in to go through the door, or in this case, purchased through a private seller.
Threw -- past tense of throw, as in threw the brick through the door.

Ads28
05-03-2011, 12:31 PM
haha Sorry sir :P Internet has taken away my brain and made me lazy.