PDA

View Full Version : i need advice

TheOtherIan
04-30-2011, 08:40 AM
i found this:
http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/cto/2342105578.html

i can afford it, its cool, and i know nothing about it. its knocking, which i know is bad. but i dont know if the engine can handle the turbo. its not going to be a DD, but i would like to be informed about smart decisions.

thanks much!
-Ian

Car_Barn_Bandit
04-30-2011, 09:58 AM
They don't have a picture of the driver's door. They likely won't have any documentation on ANYTHING "they" did to it. Even if the body was in good shape the engine is bad. Looks like both are bad. It's a lot to buy into.

The body is BAD, the engine is BAD and he's going out of state for "collage". I'd keep looking.

The Captain
04-30-2011, 02:03 PM
run, RUN!

TheOtherIan
05-01-2011, 10:19 PM
I guess I'll pass on it then, I already have enough trouble with my jeep. I don't need another broken car

Facime
05-01-2011, 10:31 PM
I'll take the other side of that argument.
If that an actual 20/22R hybrid as he states then its got all the right parts at least. A bottom end knock in a 22R is nothing at all to deal with. Being RWD and simple as hell is a huge advantage to working on it. I could have that motor out, new bearings in and back in the car in less time than it takes to drink a 12 pack.

Parts are easy to find and pretty cheap. Im pretty sure AE86 parts can be adapted for use in the suspension area. Id probably ditch the blow through carb turbo setup in favor of a nice simple reliable Weber but if its actually working and running it might be kinda fun to play with.

Ive bought bigger piles of garbage for more cash and made nice cars out of them.

That said, Im not a huge 2nd gen fan but at least its a coupe. You could do worse for $500

Doowstados
05-01-2011, 10:42 PM
If you've got the money and time to spend about six months to a year restoring it, it would be an awesome buy. That's dirt cheap for a second gen, ESPECIALLY with the turbo in there.

andy
05-01-2011, 11:59 PM
time and money yes, want to drive everyday soon no

TheOtherIan
05-02-2011, 12:48 AM
Well I'm still on the fence about buying it. It's hella cheap and rwd. But I don't really have the money to dump into it seeing as it wouldn't be a daily driver. My jeep is my dd, and it needs new tires and a new bed. But for 500 if all the paper work is in order and it does run and drive then I might end up buying it.

Facime
05-02-2011, 02:08 AM
I bought my last 1st gen for $600 and had at least $2500 total into it before it was worthy of DD status, but it was driveable from day 1, just not all that safe, lol.

Murgatroy
05-04-2011, 11:29 PM
I'll take the other side of that argument.
If that an actual 20/22R hybrid as he states then its got all the right parts at least. A bottom end knock in a 22R is nothing at all to deal with. Being RWD and simple as hell is a huge advantage to working on it. I could have that motor out, new bearings in and back in the car in less time than it takes to drink a 12 pack.

Parts are easy to find and pretty cheap. Im pretty sure AE86 parts can be adapted for use in the suspension area. Id probably ditch the blow through carb turbo setup in favor of a nice simple reliable Weber but if its actually working and running it might be kinda fun to play with.

Ive bought bigger piles of garbage for more cash and made nice cars out of them.

That said, Im not a huge 2nd gen fan but at least its a coupe. You could do worse for $500

:stupid:

If you have the $500 to throw away, I would do it.

UtahSleeper
05-06-2011, 05:15 PM
From how you describe your current DD it doesn't sound like you have the money.............just thinking the DD should be in order before considering ANY project.

Now, aside from that, for 500 it could be fun to screw around with and learn. Plus you could maybe shave 50 or 100 off if he needs it sold that bad.

92 All-Trac
05-06-2011, 09:31 PM
If I had $500 to tie up for a bit, I'd pick it up. All depends on your situation of course. Such as a place for it to sit if you realize you made a big mistake :P