PDA

View Full Version : convert to HIDs?

crymson
04-29-2011, 12:12 AM
I remember reading somewhere that HID low beams were an option on the Gen 7's. Is that true? If so, could I in theory buy the parts (either from a dealer or salvage them) that I need to convert my sealed beams to HIDs?

donteatbugs
04-29-2011, 01:45 PM
the oem lights are not sealed beam on the 7th gen. Find out what bulb it is and go buy a kit from ddmtuning.com . I run a 35w 6000k kit in my 2000 gt-s...both of them

vip09
04-30-2011, 09:00 AM
Should be an H7 for the low beam.

Galcobar
04-30-2011, 09:28 AM
Simply replacing the bulb is not the same as installing HIDs -- a lens designed for a bulb running electricity through a tungsten filament is not designed for a bulb which produces an arc discharge between two electrodes -- particularly when the orientation of the arc is usually perpendicular to the orientation of the filament.

That said, as noted above you don't have sealed beams. Properly what you'd want to do is replace the halogen modules with HID modules -- and the associated wiring as necessary.

HID was available from 2003-on, in the GTS initially and then from 2004-on available on the GT and GTS. However, since the seventh-gen was actually designed to accommodate HID, you're not restricted to just Celicas. The modules themselves tend to be standardized.

bzdweezy
04-30-2011, 04:13 PM
Yeah some had factory hid's and leveling headlights(not auto leveling ones tho) and with the projectors you get a nice beam pattern