PDA

View Full Version : Is there headers available that bolt to a CA car with ZERO modification?

Doowstados
04-27-2011, 09:45 PM
The title is my question. I don't want to have to modify my car to make my header fit. In other words, I want to be able to switch in my OEM exhaust manifold with the cat attached prior to smog testing with ZERO hassle.

Hopefully this is possible. I don't have the know how or tools to fabricate one out of my 97' Camry header.

Galcobar
04-27-2011, 11:15 PM
Trouble is that the primary cat -- or only cat for those not in California -- is a direct-fit design which acts as the collector pipe for a log-style manifold.

There isn't room between the engine and the primary cat for a tubular manifold, at least not one with any gains over the log-style. As a result, any header you'd want to put in would require at a minimum a custom front pipe. I suppose you could theoretically create a multi-piece front pipe with removable sections to accommodate the different designs...

T-spoon
04-27-2011, 11:56 PM
For what it would be worth (or not) to you in performance gains, I think you may be better off just keeping the stock setup in CA if you don't have a way around the emissions testing.