PDA

View Full Version : Denso Laser Spark Plugs

Car_Barn_Bandit
04-26-2011, 05:26 AM
Looks like it will be made to fit existing engines. Discuss.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/8471819/Laser-solution-to-damp-spark-plugs.html

grimmythereaper
04-27-2011, 12:23 AM
cant wait to see the idea played out in a car, and i do see how it would be a cleaner burn on start up as well i really cant see a bad side to the idea....well maybe the price tag when the plugs launch but nothing other then that

H8PVMNT
04-27-2011, 12:42 AM
Seems like it would work, but we're talking about a beam of light, if it gets fouled like a spark plug it would have the same problems a spark plug has. It will be ineresting to see if this technology makes it to main steam auto manufacturing...

Siyx
04-27-2011, 03:20 PM
I'd have to agree, they cant work if the lasers path is fouled. So now begs the question of how do they plan to keep the path clean from debris. Also begs the question of how long the laser will last, when will you have to change them and what the failure rate is.

lamont
04-27-2011, 03:45 PM
I think with a cleaner more thorough burn carbon buildup won't be an issue at all, also I'm sure they will make the laser strong enough to penetrate any buildup if any forms. My concern would be with Denso and exclusive rights to patents on the technology. Without a competitive market the price could be anything really, and if they increase horsepower and reduce emissions they would be worth a decent amount of money, but like most with me the sky is way over the limit lol. Once the price is set and the benefits documented and proven, then I will weigh whether or not they are worth buying I guess.

boo_guy
04-28-2011, 01:43 AM
The constant pew, pew, pew would get annoying.

Car_Barn_Bandit
04-28-2011, 01:45 AM
I almost look at Denso getting rights as a good thing. If another auto manufacturer got ahold they might lock it into new engines, vs allowing it to work in current engines.

not12listen
04-28-2011, 08:05 AM
i'm curious if this type of ignition technology will be backwards compatible to older vehicles. if so, whomever gets the rights to it, will make a fortune...

Car_Barn_Bandit
04-28-2011, 08:12 AM
My concern would be with Denso and exclusive rights to patents on the technology. Without a competitive market the price could be anything really...

Apparently rival Champion, is working on another technology called Corona that uses an electrical array. This is SEMA we're talking about. Competition beats at the very heart of everything.

alltracman78
04-28-2011, 05:34 PM
I highly doubt this will be backwards compatible, it's probably not going to be fireable from distributor; and I doubt it will use a coil at all.
Not to mention that the timing of the "spark" will probably be different and they're talking about possibly using more than 1 per cylinder, all of which would require different electronics.
It may even use different shaped combustion chambers and they also mentioned possible different lengths of the laser[s].
Lots of stuff that current engines aren't designed with in mind.

If it even comes into play before electric cars are super prevalent.

Car_Barn_Bandit
04-28-2011, 05:45 PM
There is both the new laser ignition systems coming with redesigned engines to match AND aftermarket upgrades for current engines. Check out the prototype in this article. Looks bad ass.

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/52302000/jpg/_52302474_03athree-beam-laser_preferable-edited.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13160950

Denso can set the focus of the lasers anywhere they want depth wise in the cylinder. You'd just buy the laser plugs needed for your engine. It may require a management system or coil on spark, but they're clearly being developed to help existing cars. Fuel effeciency is BIG business right now...

alltracman78
04-28-2011, 06:03 PM
I didn't see anything about upgrades for current engines.
And they mention it being fired by fiber optics. Definitely not something current ECUs/igniters are set up for [dist or COP].

Car_Barn_Bandit
04-28-2011, 06:32 PM
The articles mention talking to a spark plug maker, and squeezing the size into a spark plug tube. The full press release will be May 1st, but all this is hinting toward aftermarket.

Ford for the past 2 years, has been developing their own laser ignition system. They will upgrade the combustion chamber to match and from everything that has trickled out over this time period, Ford is having a lot of issues getting it to work reliably.

http://www.cargurus.com/blog/2011/04/27/goodbye-spark-plugs-hello-laser-ignition

This is the first news to come out stating there will be an ignition system formatted for existing spark plugs. I can imagine that your distributor, or ignition management would need to be upgraded. This is still an exciting revolution for internal combustion. I am not arguing these will be drop in upgrades, but I am saying this new ignition system might be used in our older cars. From a market analysts point of view, this is a HUGE market, and gas is damn expensive.

Facime
04-28-2011, 08:03 PM
The constant pew, pew, pew would get annoying.

AHAHAHA, thanks for the laugh I needed it

Lonestag
04-29-2011, 12:19 AM
I'm sure they will develope a backwards compatible retro fit. I'm sure there would be buyers, so i'm sure it will happen.

But yeah, thats sweet.