PDA

View Full Version : Toot me horn

90ToyAllTrac
04-25-2011, 07:36 PM
The horn system on my st185 has never worked, before JDM swap or after. Ive been able to eliminate the horns tested ok, replaced the relay in the pass side relay box and jumped the 2 pins where that relay goes and the horn goes off. But the wiring diagram I found doesnt have the switch on it anywhere so dont know what color the wires are coming from the steering wheel. Also, the fuse labeled horn on the driver side relay box has no wires going to it. So even if I could find a wire coming from the horn button and ran it to the driver side relay box, not sure where it would go after that to get to the horns. Since the horns go off when I jump the pins in the pass side relay, the prob has to be between the relay and the steering wheel button, and im wondering if the fuse in the dvr side box is even supposed to be used. So I guess if I could get someone to see if they have a wire going to the fuse in the dvr side box and what color it is, or if I guess I have not checked the wire from the relay and compared them to wires in the steering column and then tested any similar colored wires to find the right wire, if its there. I was waiting for the weather to warm/dry up. This is just one more in a LONNGGGG list of stupid sht that was broken on my car from previous owner. Its so dumb I dont even really expect to get any help, posting just incase. My faith in this forum is the only reason Im posting, any other forum I would seriously not expect anyone to have anything useful to say. Hail CTech! :)

alltracman78
04-29-2011, 07:51 PM
If the horn works by jumping the relay your fuse is fine.
You may have the wrong cover, it's marked wrong, or you're looking at it wrong. :)

Power runs from the fuse to the relay [fuse powers both sides of the relay] to the horn switch in the steering column.
The ground for the switch is the column, so you need to pull the airbag and take a look at the switch in there.

90ToyAllTrac
05-07-2011, 02:06 AM
Ok, that does help seriously, but Ive posted about pulling the air bag before but got no replies. Any advice on how to do it? Does the cover just peel off or what? I dont wanna rip or break anything. I also checked my manuals and the BGBs but didnt see anything on the airbags. Thanks.

187flatliner
05-07-2011, 03:01 AM
screws in the back....make sure to disconnect your battery and then wait for like a good 30 mins to let it charge down before you go messing with the airbag.....dont want it going off in your hands.

90ToyAllTrac
05-07-2011, 07:42 AM
Ok so its those 4 screws with the springs on them? Just so Im sure about it? Thanks

alltracman78
05-11-2011, 08:09 PM
Yes, 4 torx screws.

It can be a bit of a PITA to free the bag from the screws sometimes, even when they're completely unscrewed.
Just be patient with it.

Car_Barn_Bandit
05-11-2011, 08:12 PM
The torx brackets like to snag the airbag frame, so it takes some jiggling to free it. All my horn problems came from corroded wires connected to the horn and how well the ground to the upper radiator support. I still have one horn putting up a fight. I am going to hose it out with cleaner and improve grounding.

90ToyAllTrac
05-25-2011, 12:08 AM
Pics attached. I am guessing I am missing a harness that goes to the yellow connector air bag, and probly had the wire for the horn. There is a terminal that is underneath the column thats not hooked up to anything, wondering if that is part of it? If not Im back to square one with having to figure out where to attach a wire for the horn and where to run it too.

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/4/476/2589/38688794051_large.jpg http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/4/476/2589/38688794053_large.jpg http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/4/476/2589/38688794052_large.jpg

90ToyAllTrac
05-26-2011, 03:39 AM
I just realized, I should go to the junkers and if they still have a 5th gen, piece of cake to look and see whats there for a harness and if same, appropriate, assimilate...

Stay tuned....

90ToyAllTrac
05-27-2011, 01:20 AM
Well, big surprise, found Im missing another huge part for no reason. The ring with the yellow stripe on it. Another gift from the A-Tards that previously owned my car. I just invented a new word to describe them. Quite brilliant I think, it adequately describes and encompasses whatever the hell is or was wrong with them. Aholes, and retards. "A-Tards".

Here is what I found at the junk yard. Have to go back with a puller kit.

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/4/476/2589/38688794054_large.jpg

90ToyAllTrac
06-10-2011, 06:58 PM
After installing new ring still no horn. I took the airbag off again to put the tester on it. no juice obviously, so i thought see if any of the pins on this plug are hot, the rest are for the cruise control. anyway found one hot pin, maybe ill jump it, see if horn goes off, i know it wont, but before tearing the entire thing apart again. get mister jumper wire, jump it to the wheel. TOOOT TOOOOT!!!!!! the pins are reversed on the ST i got the plug from at junk yard. still no telling why the ring didnt fit without cutting stuff, or why the cruise handle mount holes dont match but whatever. and the plug from junk yard and the plug from ctech, the pins come out without breaking!!! i switched em around twice on both plugs, so that was nice, i musta broke 2 of the popout pin holder deals on the ECU plugs cause they were so tiny but these were heartier. I can finally horn at Aholes that are trying to merge on top of me.!