PDA

View Full Version : Most likely motor mounts to be bad?

klapa
04-21-2011, 10:13 PM
I was wondering what are the most likely motor mounts that would need to be replaced on a high mileage car. Front - rear - left - or right? I know the answer might not be what I want to hear - i.e. "all of the above".

I am trying to chase down "noises" in my running gear as a first step to getting the AllTrac on the road - and I have allot of vibration that might be masking out other noises that could give me clues as to the cause. Some of theses noises might be from the exhaust system - but I believe others are because of my motor mounts.

I know the front mount is questionable because it is easy to see - I have not yet been able to get a look at the rear mount.

From previous experience - I would think the mount with the tension on it would be in worse shape than the mount with the compression on it. Thus - based on the fact that the engine rotation is toward the front of the car - I would think the rear mount would be in worse shape than the front mount.

I have no idea about the left and right mounts - I see no reason for either of these to see much stress.

Thoughts and experience?

alltracman78
04-21-2011, 11:33 PM
Yes, front and rear wear out more than sides.

Do both, not just one.

Did you buy Nightfires Alltrac?

alltracman78
04-21-2011, 11:34 PM
I would suggest the Speed Souce mounts.
And while you're in there replace the small rubber bushings for the front/rear crossmember with thier aluminum ones.

klapa
04-21-2011, 11:50 PM
Did you buy Nightfires Alltrac?

Nope - I did not - for a number of reasons - major of which was a big fight with my wife about that.

When I last talked to him - he wanted to keep it - but maybe it is still available.

I have his number somewhere if you need it PM me.

alltracman78
04-22-2011, 04:56 AM
Oh, I wasn't interested in buying it, I've already been through my multiple Alltrac phase. :P
Thanks though. :)

I considered buying it years ago, long before he owned it [lived in NC for a while].
It was the non metallic color of my 92, and it was sold at the same NY dealership.

grimmythereaper
04-22-2011, 06:03 AM
i would also have to rear and front mounts bc those are the mount that take the brunt of the engine torque and the sides most of the time are there to help support the weight of the engine