PDA

View Full Version : WTF? My rear window exploded!

amx
04-19-2011, 04:48 AM
So there I am at the park & ride, getting ready to head home after a normal day at work. I unlock the door, climb into the car, shut the door, and...

CRASH!

The next thing I know, glass is raining down on my backseat, and my hatch looks like this:

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/4/3/2/3/20110418_005.jpg (http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=19325)

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/4/3/2/3/20110418_001.jpg (http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=19325)

Now, I walked up facing the front of my car, so I didn't actually look very hard at the back glass before I got in. Maybe someone smashed it, or something got kicked down off of the overpass and cracked it first, or maybe the glass just got tired of being solid, who knows. All I know is that when I sat down in the driver's seat, there was glass behind me. As soon as I shut the door, there wasn't.

What the fawk?

pintoBC_3sgte
04-19-2011, 05:18 AM
Holy crapppppage!

Tecker184
04-19-2011, 05:41 AM
my car port collapsed on my car and i lost my rear glass. I just hope are cars are more common around your parts. I had to buy a whole car just to get the rear glass. My only other option was the dealer at $1800 for just the glass. I tried all the local yards and auto glass places with no luck. Very shitty deal good luck with replacement.

MCcelica
04-19-2011, 06:07 AM
You didn't happen to have a pressurized can of... well... anything in your back seat did you?

CriScO
04-19-2011, 06:19 AM
:sneaky:

4thgenceli
04-19-2011, 06:21 AM
You didn't happen to have a pressurized can of... well... anything in your back seat did you?

Bwahahahahahahahahah.

Back story, Crisco had a can of (wd40? or r134a?) in his cargo area. It exploded from the heat (black car, tinted windows) and blew out his quarter window.

Sounds to me though that there was already some damage to the glass, not necesarilly visible, and when you shut the door the pressure wave blew it out. That's why (just by habit) I usually crack a window or leave some opening for air to rush out.

Doowstados
04-19-2011, 06:31 AM
Bwahahahahahahahahah.

Back story, Crisco had a can of (wd40? or r134a?) in his cargo area. It exploded from the heat (black car, tinted windows) and blew out his quarter window.

Sounds to me though that there was already some damage to the glass, not necesarilly visible, and when you shut the door the pressure wave blew it out. That's why (just by habit) I usually crack a window or leave some opening for air to rush out.

Paranoid? :laugh:

4thgenceli
04-19-2011, 06:38 AM
Nope.

I've just blown out the (windshield/rear window/driver side window/passenger side window) in various vehicles ('89 GT, 2005 Accent, '85 blazer) from pressure waves mostly (not always) caused by sound systems.

MCcelica
04-19-2011, 06:40 AM
:sneaky:

Couldn't resist mate. :D

4thgenceli
04-19-2011, 06:43 AM
Poor Crisco...

On the end of so may 'help I have this problem' threads (well usually just 'why is my oil pressure low' and 'how should I store XXX chemical').

To the OP:
Was there any prior damage? Accident, etc? If the window frame or any of that rear is twisted or mis-aligned just a bit, the slightest pressure could cause it to pop as well.

amx
04-19-2011, 07:13 AM
Nope, no accidents, all I can say for sure is that the glass was intact when I drove it this morning. I had noticed that the hatch seemed a little "buzzier" than usual recently, but the rear end of the car makes a lot of noise on a normal day so I didn't pay a lot of attention to it. I do wish I'd taken a look at the glass before I got in this afternoon, but oh well... hindsight and all that.

I agree, there must have been some hidden damage or weakness in the glass. I don't have much of a sound system (a new amp, and some crappy aftermarket speakers the previous owner put in), and I definitely don't keep any pressurized substances back there. :) We've had weird weather; it was icy this morning and warmer this afternoon, so maybe that had something to do with it. At this point, who knows.

Funny part is, I thought the All-Trac attracted a lot of attention before, but let me tell you, it gets even more with a gaping hole in the hatch and the rear wiper flapping around in the wind. Lol

Carolina91GT-S
04-19-2011, 12:29 PM
I watched a corvette do this once. Sitting empty in a parking lot at work I was eyeballing it and pow! back glass just shattered without any sort of provocation. I think it was a heat thing. It was very hot that day and had been below freezing the night before.

~Chris

klapa
04-19-2011, 01:02 PM
Dayuum - sorry to see that man - good luck finding a replacement.

Around here hatches are much harder to find than coupes. Yet you are up in Washington and it seems there are allot more of our cars in Canada - maybe somebody up there can help you out.

The Captain
04-19-2011, 01:49 PM
Damn. Got a spare hatch in my garage. Shipping would be insane.

Murgatroy
04-19-2011, 03:21 PM
If it goes from freezing to hot in the same day I have seen windshields do this before. It has to do with the extreme temperature changes.

Eric Barrera
04-19-2011, 10:19 PM
poor Crisco lol

Siyx
04-19-2011, 10:28 PM
This might sound a little odd but check for rust where the window edges sit on the car and trim areas. My Supra's front window cracked due to rust. The windshield was in mint condition and otherwise unmarked or previously cracked. I dont know exactly why it happens, but it did.

cms-gt4
04-19-2011, 11:12 PM
It happened to my alltrac too. It was cheaper to replace the whole hatch from a Junk Yard than buy a new glass.

amx
04-20-2011, 03:20 AM
Well, took it down to the shop this morning. My brother and sister both work for Safelite, so I can get the glass from the dealer with their discount. Yes! The bad news is that it's still going to run over a grand. Noooo. :(

It probably would be cheaper to try to source a replacement hatch, but I'm at work and/or school 10+ hours a day and just don't have the time. Plus this is my daily driver and it parks outside, I can't leave it sitting open for that long. Dealer it is, sigh.

Siyx, that's a good call on the rust. The All-Trac's pretty rust-free, but it did have major condensation issues on the back glass, so it's entirely possible that I had a leak or something back there. I'll have to check into that.

klapa
04-20-2011, 03:27 AM
I dunno man - for a grand I'd at least check out the shipping options from Atlanta.

CarolinaJr.
04-20-2011, 03:38 AM
Wow, sorry to see that man, very strange.

pintoBC_3sgte
04-20-2011, 03:51 AM
too bad you didnt live closer to here.. theres 2 5th gens at pick n pull, both with decent hatches

Tecker184
04-20-2011, 04:19 AM
I bought a 91 gt-s off craigslist for $700 had to drive 4 hours to get it. I parted out the car in the end payed around $350 for my hatch.

H8PVMNT
04-24-2011, 12:30 AM
I have a hatch for sale form a '91 GT-S part out. I'm sure even with shipping we could beat the crap out of $1,000...

I'm just over here by Great Falls.

ericfragola
04-25-2011, 07:27 PM
are you fckin kidding me?! over a grand for the window?! i bought a hatch 2weeks ago at the junkyard WITH glass for under 70 dollars for my 4th gen. and the prices are all the same for any hatch...and 5th gens are pretty common there.