PDA

View Full Version : New Celica owner from Alabama

ycartf
04-16-2011, 11:50 PM
Hi everyone. I am a "new" Celica owner (but not of a new "Celica") from Alabama. My introduction to the Celica has just begun with a nice-looking 1987 ST that I picked up for $300. It ran great but wouldn't shift into anything but 1st or Reverse (no higher gears) and the guy had bought something to replace it already as he did not want to fool with fixing it. I put a $39 governor body in the transmission about 5 days ago (took a couple hours) and it runs through all the gears flawlessly now. I am falling for this car pretty quickly. I was fixing it up for one of my daughters, but I might have to get her something else now lol. While it is in great shape for a 24 year old car (obviously garaged by the first owner and yes, I will try and post some pics soon), I guess I am most impressed with the fact that it doesn't drip a drop of anything! I mean this is a 24 year old car with 103,000 miles on it. I ran it until operating temperature for about an hour (trying to burn out the old gas where it sat for a year), then parked it inside the engine bay (where we park the ambulances) and let it run for another 15 minutes (bay doors open - no CO) and checked the floor underneath ..... clean as a whistle! Thanks for the info on here and your contributions to it. I look forward to my time here. Have a great day.

Tracy

Hookecho
04-17-2011, 01:41 AM
Hey Tracy. Welcome to the fold. You mentioned ambulances which leads me to ask if you fix them or fix people.

grimmythereaper
04-17-2011, 03:12 AM
welcome to the neighborhood:)

Nitro_Alltrac
04-17-2011, 04:54 AM
Welcome!

ycartf
04-17-2011, 09:36 AM
Hey Tracy. Welcome to the fold. You mentioned ambulances which leads me to ask if you fix them or fix people.

Fix people, paramedic/fireman.

manda
04-18-2011, 12:41 AM
Welcome!

ycartf
04-18-2011, 02:06 AM
Thanks for all the welcomes.

manda - I see you live in Searcy, AR. That is where I bought my Celica (from the guy who runs Tillet Paint there in Searcy).

4thgenceli
04-18-2011, 02:14 AM
Yeah, the 4th gen's are good at suckering people in.

manda
04-18-2011, 03:06 AM
Thanks for all the welcomes.

manda - I see you live in Searcy, AR. That is where I bought my Celica (from the guy who runs Tillet Paint there in Searcy).

Ya, I'm in Searcy for school. I go to Harding (not many ppl have heard of them, so I wont be offended if you havent lol). I have no idea where Tillet Paint is, but thats awesome! If your out this way again before May let me know!

ycartf
04-18-2011, 04:22 AM
Ya, I'm in Searcy for school. I go to Harding (not many ppl have heard of them, so I wont be offended if you havent lol). I have no idea where Tillet Paint is, but thats awesome! If your out this way again before May let me know!

No I don't know where that is, but I am not from there. I only went that far to get a car because we have a former Pastor who lives nearby and I visited with them while up there from Alabama. Have a great week.

vip09
04-18-2011, 05:25 AM
Welcome, I've been to Dothan a few times. Isn't that where they have the Peanut Festival? :)

ycartf
04-19-2011, 05:05 AM
Welcome, I've been to Dothan a few times. Isn't that where they have the Peanut Festival? :)

Yes it is. Half of the peanuts grown in the US are grown within a 100 mile radius of Dothan.